Updates on Sevenoaks Grammar and the free school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Updates on Sevenoaks Grammar and the free school

Post by mystery »

Why hasn't the d f e said yes or no yet to the grammar annex? And in the meantime what happens with getting on with getting planning permission for the free school, Trinity, and getting on building it?

What is Gove etc waiting for? Is John Major going to get his latest wish ( not expressed when he was prime minister) of a grammar school in every town?
mystery

Re: What is happening about sevenoaks grammar and the free s

Post by mystery »

Some limited news .....
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

The Sevenoaks Grammar issue is a big decision.....I should think that if it gets the go ahead then a lot of other towns will also want a Grammar School 'annexe', so not surprising that Mr Gove is spending quite a while pondering the implications of this. Not sure what is holding up the Trinity School decision though?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which trinity school decision are you referring to? It is up and running in an office block in sevenoaks. and they will have a new build school open to move into by sept 2015 on the knowle east site. It is a fantastic school by all accounts.

So you think mr gove is just a bit slow at making big decisions then? He seems to have made other far more wide reaching ones than a few more grammar places for a small town in kent far faster than this. Sure, if they agree this is an annex and not a new school any grammar could have babies of any gender anywhere in the country.
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

I was thinking about the planning decision for the new Trinity School location....not heard anything about this recently and I am not sure if the planning submission has actually been made yet? I think it would have to be quick to be able to get a new school built in time for Sept 2015.

I just think Mr Gove is taking his time with this Grammar School decision as it could set a precedent for many other 'annexes' elsewhere. I agree that he seems rather quick off the mark with many of his other decisions!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am presuming that the free school can get planning permission very quickly. I am also assuming that there is some way round all of this apparent hold-up as I would not have thought that mr gove would wish to hold up the free school move as well as the grammar decision.

A more flexible solution is needed really than a forever 6 form entry grammar parked next to a forever 4 form entry free school but in September this was the best compromise I guess in a scenario that looked like entry into a long drawn out legal battle over the Knole land.

Perhaps the land share agreement was made on the presumption of a yes to the grammar.
mystery

Post by mystery »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443490 ... mar-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weald of Kent seems to have been forgotten again, and a few other facts about journeys and other West Kent grammars taking extra classes etc.

Other than that, maybe the "pressure from campaigners" will do its job to hasten what seems to be a slow vetting and approval process of the two grammar proposals.
mystery

Daily Mail article re. grammar school annex Sevenoaks

Post by mystery »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... built.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Kent County Council spokesman said: ‘It’s a first which is why there has possibly been a delay. It’s like a completely new school.’

Let's hope this was not a Freudian slip.

I wonder if the patch of land at Knole will be "reserved" in case a future Conservative government tries to get the law which prevents new selective schools being set up repealed.

"The pressure is particularly acute in Sevenoaks where there are no grammars, meaning children have to travel more than 30 miles a day to get to the nearest selective school." A slight inaccuracy here - maybe depending on which children we are talking about in which part of Sevenoaks district. It is under ten miles each way by road from Sevenoaks railway station, for example, to Weald of Kent Grammar School for Girls in Tonbridge.
daddylonglegs

Re: Daily Mail article re. grammar school annex Sevenoaks

Post by daddylonglegs »

Mystery, thanks for posting this link....I note this has also been reported ..... this morning. Not sure why you want to start a new thread though....you started a new thread last Monday on the same topic, so may be more convenient to add to that rather than keep on starting new ones?
mystery

Re: Daily Mail article re. grammar school annex Sevenoaks

Post by mystery »

Good point - I'm happy either way. Moderators please merge if this would be neater.

Merged as requested - Moderator
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now