Warwickshire and other West Midlands grammar stats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Okanagan

Warwickshire and other West Midlands grammar stats

Post by Okanagan »

This is interesting - from the recent Sutton Trust report: http://www.suttontrust.com/our-work/res ... wnload/238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Obviously the Warwickshire figures are rather skewed by the Central and Northern regions not having any Grammar schools - it would be interesting to see a figure for those actually resident in the South/East areas.

Code: Select all

Local Authority   %age secondary pupils        %age of grammar pupils not   
                  attending Grammar schools    resident in Local Authority area    
Birmingham                  8.2                            31.2  
Warwickshire                7.9                            22.8  
Telford and Wrekin          7.8                            55.6  
Walsall                     5.6                            45.4  
Wolverhampton               4.3                            50.8
To clarify these figures are pupils attending secondary schools in the local authority area - so it's 7.9% of secondary pupils in Warwickshire schools, not 7.9% of Warwickshire resident secondary students (some of whom may of course cross borders and be included in the Birmingham figures for example).
um

Re: Warwickshire and other West Midlands grammar stats

Post by um »

Thank you, Okanagan. This is really interesting. I'm surprised at the % of pupils in Birmingham who are not living within the LA; I'd thought it would be lower.
KenR

Re: Warwickshire and other West Midlands grammar stats

Post by KenR »

The Birmingham non LEA is interesting but maybe not that surprising - there are a lot of adjacent LEA with good or reasonable transport access times to many of the consortium schools.

Some KE schools (e.g. KEFW and KEHG) are actually very close to the B/ham boundary.

KEFW used to have a big map on the wall with pins showing where all of the pupils live - quite staggering how far away many pupils travel. That was was of the reasons why KEFW started the Green Bus Service.

Same applies to some Warwickshire schools - we live in Wythall (just within the priority circle) and although my son didn't apply to KES Stratford the journey wouldn't have been that difficult. There is a reasonable train service to Stratford from Wythall - I notice quite a few boys who catch the train from Wythall.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now