Hunger games 2

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Hunger games 2

Post by Minesatea »

DD's school have decided to take all the girls in years 9 and above to see the second hunger games film at the end of term. It seems an unusual choice to me as I am sure my DD is not the only girl who doesnt like violent films and presumably not all will have seen the first film/ read the books.
How violent/scary is this film, is it suitable for all 13 year old girls and is it likely to make sense if she has not read the books or seen the first film?
aliportico

Re: Hunger games 2

Post by aliportico »

! That does seem odd! Is it compulsory?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My 11yo DD and her friends have all loved the books.

She didn't like the first film though, but that is because she doesn't like to watch any film after she has read the book, as she says it spoils it for her. She has a picture in her own mind what things look like and doesn't want those changed. Only one exception and that is the Hobbit.

Strange if it's compulsory though.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Have a cinema evening at home with dd, any friends who have not watched hunger games, popcorn, sweets, fizzy drinks, and the DVD, then even if she hates it, she and her mates will have had fun. They do need to be seen/read in succession imo.

Ds 1 loved books and films, but then he is a boy, so likes a little bit of blood shed, can't wait to see new film.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

It is not compulsary, I have to sign permission for her to go, but she will have to remain in school, possibly alone (staff supervised) if we say no.

Her brother has read all the books and loved the first film, but this is just not her taste and I am reluctant to have her in a situation where, surrounded by peers and older girls, she is upset by it.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Does she want to go?

JD
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

No but equally she doesnt want to be embrassed if she is the only girl not going.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 (now aged 11, yr 6) is currently in a race with a friend to finish the first book - it may be the first time that his friend has read it but DS2 must surely know it off by heart by now. He read them all for the first time when he was 9. BTW he is quite squeamish generally :lol:

I am the only one in this house who has neither seen the first film nor read any of the books, and I'm not particularly fond of screen violence but I've seen Film 2013 and I'm all set to make a trip to see Catching Fire a full family outing.

The idea of a "film night" to see the first film sounds a good one.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
logic32

Post by logic32 »

The 1st film was in my opinion done quite cleverly, as any violence or nasty bits were very much implied but not actually shown, whilst the books themselves are more graphic. I read (and enjoyed) all the books but I know lots of people felt very differently.

There was a big fuss over that film and it's subject matter and I guess at the end of the day it comes down to your opinion as a parent and your childs nature.

I confess I took Ds 12 and DD, then aged 9 to see it, warning her of any scary bits beforehand but some parents questioned my decision.

However I am probably not the most sensible parent due to the fact my mother never had a clue what we watched when we were children. For my 11 birthday sleepover I asked her to rent 'Carrie' and 'Poltergeist' from the video shop and she was totally bemused when the parents collecting their children were not too happy !! In my defence it was Halloween !!

My daughter has just turned 11 and I confess I wouldn't dream of allowing her to watch either of those films.

I don't think your DD should be pressured into it. Can't she just be 'busy' that evening if she doesn't want to go ?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I've just started to read the first book, thought I'd have a look before I let the kids read it and I have to say I'm gripped. I watched the review on Film 2013 ( didn't it used to be Film 1987 :shock: ) and it seemed to show a strong female role model.

I've found this site very helpful, especially with the GTA5 debate!

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;