CAF / review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dids

CAF / review

Post by Dids »

Hi, if u intend to appeal on non qualification would you need to put the form on your CAF? Thanks new to all this, we were just a few marks away.
Etienne

Re: CAF

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
would you need to put the form on your CAF?
Not sure I've understood.
Do you mean 'put the school on the CAF'?

If so, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Dids

Post by Dids »

Thanks my son has missed out by a few marks. Maybe by march I will feel better, but all a bit raw at the moment. :(
Dids

Re: Trafford appeal

Post by Dids »

Hi, my son is in the position of having his papers internally reviewed but not had his scores amended. So an appeal seems pointless. Would you think there would be any chance of me getting a copy of the review notes at this point?

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Trafford appeal

Post by Etienne »

Dids wrote:Hi, my son is in the position of having his papers internally reviewed but not had his scores amended. So an appeal seems pointless.
Not sure why you say that?

As I wrote in the Trafford appeal thread, "It does state that the review was FCO, but it looks as if para. 3.13b of the Code (which says that no other matters will be considered if there's already been a 'fair, consistent & objective' review) was not in practice used, since the panel apparently did go on to consider your case."

It may be that appeals for this school are very hard to win - but that's a different issue. :)
Would you think there would be any chance of me getting a copy of the review notes at this point?
They might try to resist, but I think you'd be entitled to them under the Data Protection Act.
You'll find a specimen letter here.
Scroll down to (b). You can adapt as necessary, changing "appeal" to "review".
Etienne
Dids

Post by Dids »

Thanks I think I need to clarify what the internal review was looking at and go from there.
Dids

Review

Post by Dids »

My son missed out on passing for the school we wanted, he was close so the school automatically review all papers within 13 marks of pass mark. This review consists of looking at the papers, and any special circumstances. In our case there were special circumstances, I informed the school. The condition I informed them about is covered by the equality act. Following the review they decided not to ammend my sons score. I have asked for the notes of the review, they said they don't make notes. I feel I have a right to a more detailed explanation am I being unrealistic?
Etienne

Re: CAF / review

Post by Etienne »

• I agree that it's unsatisfactory, but in practice I think the only right you have is to go to appeal.

• Now, the Appeals Code states that your case cannot be considered at appeal if there is evidence that you've already had a 'fair, consistent & objective' review.

• However, if they have no notes of your review, it seems to me they cannot prove that the review, as applied to your particular case, was 'fair, consistent & objective'. :)
Etienne
Dids

Post by Dids »

If I have concerns about the school not giving consideration to my sons medical condition, and failing in its duties under the equality act, would an appeal be the place to raise this?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dids wrote:If I have concerns about the school not giving consideration to my sons medical condition, and failing in its duties under the equality act, would an appeal be the place to raise this?
Yes - so long as they do not succeed in arguing that there has already been a 'fair, consistent & objective' review.

To win an appeal, though, academic evidence of high ability will be what matters most.
    • The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now