to appeal or not?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

liz

to appeal or not?

Post by liz »

Hi, my son has missed out on a grammar place by 8 marks.
I am in a quandry to appeal or not. The school he has allocated is great, so I don't know whether to appeal or not. My question is to wonder if he would be better by being 'top' at a lower school, or 'bottom' (worst scenario) at a grammar school. He is not used to being bottom, as has always been top of the class, so I have made him aware of this. I don't know why he didn't get in, I have no excuse.
Do I appeal, and give him the benefit of being pushed a bit more, which does him good. Or would the confidence of being top of the comp be more of an advantage to him.
Do I appeal, and see what happens, and 'what will be, will be!'
thanks

Post by Guest »

Just because he missed out by 8 marks doesn't mean he will be bottom of the class in a grammar school. Don't forget that the 11+ is based on that one day - some kids do really well some don't - it doesn't necessarily mean that only the brightest have made it. If he is bright, he will do well anywhere - grammar or otherwise - but I would not assume he will be bottom of the class because of his position in the 11+.

Post by Guest »

Hi Liz, My son missed the 11+ by 5 marks and we chose to appeal. We knew he was capable of passing but on the day just didnt. As for 'being bottom' i spoke to our headteacher as this was my concern and she said there are some children 'tutored just to pass' and therefore will always be some children at Grammar which might not have otherwise got through.. If you choose to appeal you will never be left wondering 'what if?' and if isnt a success at least you tried and im sure your son will thrive wherever he goes.

Susie
Sue

Post by Sue »

We have just discovered that my son is only 5 places away from the Grammar we would like him to attend.....The question is do you appeal, and what do you appeal on ?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

I am not an expert on appeals, however may be a good idea to have a look at the following.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/sacode/docs/DFES-Admiss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ppeals.pdf

If you and your school BELIEVE your child should be in a Grammar, go for it.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now