Life at Kendricks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tbaby21

Life at Kendricks

Post by tbaby21 »

Hi All,

I'm just really curious at how your DD's, who have started at Kendricks this year, have found it .

Is there a huge jump from year 6 to year 7 ? How much homework do they get ?

The main reason I am asking is because I have a friend whose DD didn't pass the 11+ last year and a friend whose DD did, and is now at Tiffin's. The one at the local comp school is bombarded with homework - almost an hr - 1.5 hr an evening ( so her mum says !) and the one at Tiffin's has about 2 hours a week, so 30mins most evenings. Both girls left Year 6 with a level 6 in maths and 5a in everything else, so no difference in academic levels.

My DD scored 122, so like many others, were eagerly waiting until March 2014.
Tinkers

Re: Life at Kendricks

Post by Tinkers »

Quite a lot of homework.
DD typically gets 2 or 3 pieces a night. 1-2 hours. Some need doing for the next day/lesson, some are longer pieces and she gets longer to do them. It has been a big increase for her, but she got hardly any at primary.

In theory they have a homework timetable, in practise I don't think many teachers look at it.

One week DD got a piece of homework from every lesson for two days, that's 10 pieces. She felt a bit overwhelmed at the time. I mentioned this in her homework diary and the form tutor talked to the head of year 7. Seems to have calmed down.

In terms for the standard of work, it's not a huge leap. I think the biggest difference is the different subjects and that they aren't spoonfed, they have to think about their answers and have an opinion.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I don't really know how long DD spends on her homework as I work in my office at the bottom of the garden. She is home before 4pm and is always wandering down to see when I will be finished by about 5:30. Compared to her previous school she has a lot less homework in my opinion. Weekends are certainly lighter than last year. On the other hand I wouldn't term 1 - 1.5 hours a night as 'bombarded' so it is all about what you are used to.
She is not doing many after school clubs at Kendrick as yet and she did either clubs or afterschool care (with compulsory homework club) 4 days a week in year 6 so that would have pushed homework later into the evening.
There are more pieces that they only have a single night to finish but a fair bit seems to be 'revision' at the moment.
DD seems to be taking it all in her stride so far.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

MIL has just been. She is a retired grammar school physics teacher so was interested in DDs science work.

She was quite amazed by just how much work they have covered so far. I believe they cover all KS3 science work in two years, so they have three years for GCSE. All girls do all three sciences at GCSE.
panacea

Post by panacea »

DD has started Kendrick this year and seems to be enjoying the homework because it doesn't seem like "work". She's always excited about her work and finishes it without us telling her to and hasn't asked for help. An hour of homework I feel is pretty reasonable and so far we haven't felt any pressure. DD also finds time to watch the telly, play with brother etc. These days she's very happy as the school noticeboard read "The best solution to the maths puzzle came from - Her name and class" :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not from this area but my comment on gs life would be that the homework is less of an issue than if they miss a day off as sick - they get through such a phenomenal amount of work, that one day missed means lots of catch up, plus homework set on that day, plus child not feeling too hot at the same time! Can be challenging and, with an all boys school, trying to get a handle on what was covered/homework can be an uncommunicative nightmare!!
Footiemum

Post by Footiemum »

Does anyone know about after school clubs for Year 7 at Kendrick, eg hockey and netball? In terms of which days and times they run...? Just trying to get some idea of logistics, whether train would work or whether pick up would be needed etc.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

No point telling you days, as those are likely to change from year to year, but he's there are after school clubs, including netball, hockey and dance. Hockey I know finishes later at 5:00 pm as they are bused to the university. I think other sports and clubs finish 4:30ish.

There is a whole host of clubs after school and at lunchtimes, DD does junior singers and book club. She wanted to do hockey but unfortunately she has a keyboard lesson at 5:00 on the same day and at the moment her teacher is unable to move it permanently to another day/time that suits us.
Footiemum

Post by Footiemum »

Thanks Tinker, that's helpful. :)
Footiemum

Post by Footiemum »

Tinkers even :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now