Ofsted

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Ofsted

Post by ginx »

Our comp has had an ofsted today. My two dc, one in year 11, on in year 10, told me yesterday it was happening.

I received an email this morning at 902 (I was out) saying if I wanted to comment, my email had to be received by 11am, giving me two hours.

I didn't get the message until this afternoon.

I have quite a few comments that I would like to send, if I send an email, do you think it will reach the inspectors?

My dd1 said someone asked her what her target grade was for German. How is that useful to anyone? The school doubtless hopes to continue with another outstanding ofsted but I'm beginning to think the whole thing's a waste of time.

Anyway, looking for advice really, do you think I can send an email now? It wasn't really fair to have two hours to comment. Most people must have been at work.
Guest55

Re: Ofsted

Post by Guest55 »

You can comment on parent view and you should have had a letter home yesterday before the inspection ...
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

http://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JD
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, JD. I haven't major complaints, other than I thought I had no opportunity to comment.

I have some positives and some negative views which I would like to pass on, and will do now. Thanks for your help.

Guest55, both my dc insist there was no letter. ???
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

The inspectors will be back tomorrow, Ginx, so its definitely worth still emailing in with your comments. And if no letter was sent home with the children, you may well not be the only one doing so 'late'!

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our school has been through two Ofsted inspections in 12 months (and are due another one in 12 months) - don't ask - we just love Ofsted!!! The letter that we get gives a time by which they would like to receive comments but has the caveat that all comments received during the inspection period will be read by the inspectors. Obviously, the sooner you can get them in the better, as they will be able to utilise/investigate any positive/negative opinions you have. As someone else said, at any time of year you can use parent view on their website - although this is just a very basic 12 question analysis and gives no room for additional comments. I understand (and I know someone will correct me....) that the parents questionnaire that used to be so imperative to Ofsted (and was one of the most valid anonymous tools parents had to actually give their true opinions) does not exist now. If you have something really important to say - either positive or negative - then you can call and ask to speak to the lead inspector before or after school - they are usually very good at getting back to you, as not many parents stick their head above the parapet - I would only recommend this if you have spoken to the school previously about the positive or negative feedback, however, especially if it is a negative comment!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

From a teacher's point of view, please reply..

it is usually ( and I have been through far too many ofsteds!) the parents at either end of the spectrum who reply, it would be lovely to hear from the middle group
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I understand (and I know someone will correct me....) that the parents questionnaire that used to be so imperative to Ofsted (and was one of the most valid anonymous tools parents had to actually give their true opinions) does not exist now.
You're quite correct, Kanyancowgirl, they rely on parents completing Parentview. They don't include the feedback on the final report either, as they used too :( I'd far rather hear a parent's view point than Ofsted's - although as Yoyo says, this can be overly negative or positive ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh that is a pity about the supposedly anonymous parental questionnaire being scrapped. Parentview is trap and emailing the school is a bit of a dim idea if a parent really did have a serious concern. Sounds like ofsted has completely lost the tiny bit of brain that it maybe had.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I've no serious concerns, indeed I have praise for many aspects, excellent teachers, positive attitude, no serious problems with bullying. However, the "excellent teachers" seem to be for the top sets, concern that teachers who many have complained about, have remained. Concern that too much homework is on scraps of paper and not in books, and that homework is not marked regularly. Concern that lunch is at 145 in upper school (seems very late). Concern about uniform.

They're not exactly major problems, apart from the homework, I suppose.

JD, I didn't know Ofsted were there today as well, now I've read my concerns I think they're perhaps rather petty. It's a good school, no school is perfect. The problem regarding homework has always been an issue, but now I have a dd at gs, her teachers mark her homework regularly, detentions handed out if homework not done. Less scraps of paper - girls remember to stick them in their books or they'll get a mark towards a detention. Why can't a comp do the same?

However, that's not really about the comp. I'm still going to put my petty issues forward. Ofsted will probably just ignore them. As to target grades etc, I'm actually not bothered about them. Is that all Ofsted really care about? Dc have targets, don't reach most, exceed a couple, targets are re-set. Not sure what the problem is.

Very proud about dd1 yesterday. Got an A3 in German writing and has been told to submit it for GCSE. She worked very, very hard, not being academic, and this achievement is good. Hard work pays off, and does wonder for her confidence. Perhaps I'll praise the language department. :D