Be the first to add a review...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Be the first to add a review...

Post by Amber »

I have noticed the creeping trend to be invited to review everything we ever use or visit these days, and tbh it annoys me as I see it as a manifestation of neoliberal/marketising forces in every walk of life. However, I have to go to a funeral this afternoon and have just searched for the crematorium, which is in a different city, in order to be able to locate it.

I am informed that there are 'no reviews yet', and I have been invited to be the first to write a review. Oddly macabre; or inappropriate; or is it just me? :|
talea51

Re: Be the first to add a review...

Post by talea51 »

Amber wrote:I have noticed the creeping trend to be invited to review everything we ever use or visit these days, and tbh it annoys me as I see it as a manifestation of neoliberal/marketising forces in every walk of life. However, I have to go to a funeral this afternoon and have just searched for the crematorium, which is in a different city, in order to be able to locate it.

I am informed that there are 'no reviews yet', and I have been invited to be the first to write a review. Oddly macabre; or inappropriate; or is it just me? :|
Sorry for your loss.

I agree with your assessment, I can't see any good coming from allowing a crematorium to be reviewed. It provides far too much opportunity for horribly inappropriate remarks to be made.

However, on the general subject of reviews, I find Amazon reviews to be an unending source of amusement.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

talea51 wrote: However, on the general subject of reviews, I find Amazon reviews to be an unending source of amusement.

Oh yes - the "wheelmate" use the USA site :wink: http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmat ... B00E1D1GY6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - like the Minneapolis to San Diego pilots ...

Sorry - off topic - I do think it is strange that the default is that everything has to be reviewed - really some things are better not reviewed, also I feel sorry that some people feel the need to put bad reviews for the sake of it.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Only last night, Amazon pinged me to ask me to review a kitchen timer I had bought, and I grumbled to dh, about the intrusion.

Shops are brilliant in that sense, you buy the goods, take them home, use them. That is the end of the process, unless they break, and you return them, without the need to write an essay on why.

Should the marketing department at various hotels, campsites, web sales sites, restaurants, etc.etc, wish for my time and opinions they could at least have the courtesy to offer an incentive, such as the holiday camp questionnaire left in your French caravan, to win next year's holiday.

As for a crem wanting to be reviewed, well what could you say that shouldn't be expected as part of the service and what are the alternative choices anyway...ridiculous!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I find reviews quite useful from time to time .... Surely it is a good antidote to false advertising puff?

Reviews of crematoria ..... Well it sounds strange but then you get thinking why not? We had a bad undertaker a while back. It was upsetting for the widow on the day - many things went wrong through carelessness e.g. Lost the music she wanted playing on the day. it was significant music from their long life together. They probably get away with poor service regularly because people feel it is inappropriate to complain directly. Things don't improve if you don 't give feedback. Why is that bad?

I take the view that it is kinder to tell a business about things that are not satisfactory as it gives them a chance then to improve rather than just gradually fail as people vote with their feet.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

mystery wrote:I find reviews quite useful from time to time .... Surely it is a good antidote to false advertising puff?

Unless they write their own reviews, which has been known to happen :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Mystery
I find reviews quite useful from time to time .... Surely it is a good antidote to false advertising puff?

When I covered for our marketing manager, whilst she offed to finish baby making, following her instructions, I can honestly say I wrote more reviews of our products, than I have ever since written about other companies products as a customer. Also wrote more professional magazine articles offering " impartial " advice wrapped around press releases. That was in the construction industry, so I would imagine other sectors are even more full of mock reviews and hidden pr puff.

Negative reviews can be useful, but only by their number, not their content. As for the self publishing rambles of Amazon book reviewers, I prefer to read the professional opinions in the better quality (ahem) papers.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah yes --- I like to think I can spot the fake reviews -- but maybe not.

It's a bit like Osted parentview.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

hermanmunster wrote:
talea51 wrote: However, on the general subject of reviews, I find Amazon reviews to be an unending source of amusement.

Oh yes - the "wheelmate" use the USA site :wink: http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmat ... B00E1D1GY6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - like the Minneapolis to San Diego pilots ...

Sorry - off topic - I do think it is strange that the default is that everything has to be reviewed - really some things are better not reviewed, also I feel sorry that some people feel the need to put bad reviews for the sake of it.
I hadn't seen that one before, but yes - that's exactly what I am talking about. Bob Dodds's comment about baby changing was priceless as was the Balancer comment re balancing a ball.

Back to the original question, reviews used to be quite useful before they were so widespread and became yet another marketing tool. I guess I can see the value in reviewing a crematorium but I still think it leaves the door open to highly inappropriate reviews.
Amber

Post by Amber »

talea51 wrote: I guess I can see the value in reviewing a crematorium but I still think it leaves the door open to highly inappropriate reviews.
Well as a postscript I can say that having been to a very upsetting funeral, the last thing I feel like doing is reviewing the crematorium. Firstly it would be a really horrible thing for anyone who has had to use it, and especially if a close relative found you online criticising a service they had had there; and also it isn't like you exactly have a lot of choice when someone has died, is it? You use the local one - can't imagine too many people from round here being delighted to know that 'we have decided to hold her funeral in Suffolk as the crem got the best reviews. Hope you can make it.'
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now