Making a word from 2 words

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sonasona

Making a word from 2 words

Post by sonasona »

Hi, I was wondering if you could explain a good technique for working out the following....

Fork (roof) rope : dome (____) band

Thanks.
wildwest

Re: Making a word from 2 words

Post by wildwest »

Is the answer 'mood'?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I assumed the answer was "mend" with two letters from the first word and two from the second - in this case, the last two letters of each word. The first example is the first two letters of each word...but mixed up...so that is where I gave up!!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It is really difficult to get these to line up...

Code: Select all

4	2 3 1									       1	2 3		
f	o	r	k		(	r	o	o	f	)	r	o	p	e
d	o	m	e								      b	a	n	d
						     m	o	o	d					
						     b	a	a

R in roof comes from either the R in fork or R in rope. So write 1 above both.
The first O in roof comes from either the O in fork or O in rope write 2 above it
The second O in roof also comes from either the O in fork or O in rope write 3 above it
The F in roof comes from F in fork so write 4 above it.

So now go the other way using dome and band

First letter in your word is either M or B write them one on top of the other.
Second letter is O or A
Third is O or A
Fourth can only be D.

Code: Select all

m	o	o	d					
 b	a	a
You should then be able to pick a word out of the two lines.
mood.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

wildwest wrote:Is the answer 'mood'?
Are you allowed to reuse letters in these? It does seem to be the only way to get a sensible word out it, though.

Mercifully this is now academic for us, but I do like puzzles :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I struggled last night and came to the conclusion "band" was a typo and should read "bond"
Also this puzzle gave me nam flashbacks to ds1 vr test for bucks!

Assuming there was a typo, the trick I used with ds1 was to make a letter grid, quickly and efficiently using the printed given middle word as the guilde, and the letter options found from the positions. Make sure they use block capital letters, and top and tail their I's so they do not mistake them for an L when they are solving the anagram from the choice of letters. To start with they can number the letters, until they get used to the process, but that should not be neccessary by test time.
When one word on the second side has more letters than the one wrapped round the clue, just work from one end and don't let it phase you, this is just a sneaky trick that panicks the kids the first time they see it.

A lot of the puzzles are about learning to write neat capital letters and numbers clearly as a guide to finding the answer. I had to get ds1 to practise his handwriting and number writing so much, to ensure he did not make mistakes.

I am glad these puzzles no longer feature in bucks, they can really make us adults frown can't they?. :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sonasona, which book is it from and what are the answer choices and correct answers? Was it multichoice or standard form?
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Sorry work has kept me away!

The answer is 'mood' but I too thought you could not use the same letter(s) twice....I'm going to run through all your suggestions on this question again tomorrow morning with a fresh mind :o
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now