A View from Northern Ireland

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

A View from Northern Ireland

Post by tiffinboys »

Hardly any thing is posted in Northern Ireland region, but here are some interesting views.
Transfer Test wrote:Hi, I just want to give some advice to Mums and Dads whose children are in their p5 or p6 year, and are thinking about the whole Northern Ireland Transfer Test process.
Firstly, a tutor is not required, don't feel peer pressure to get one, you can work better than a tutor can with your child at home, if your willing to put in the work. If not, then a tutor will be required.
Secondly, don't give all your tips away to 'The parents who pretend they don't know anything about the process and would desperately like your advice':- please take note, these parents are only researching their competition. Rest assured they have been researching the whole 11 plus/transfer test topic since they became pregnant and played Einstein Theories to their bump. I guarantee you that as soon as you give away all your tips and advice, they will avoid you at the school gates the next time they see you.
Thirdly, please tell your child to keep all practice test scores hey receive in the classroom private, because once again, 'Sneaky Mum/Dad', will have asked their child to sniff about like Sherlock Holmes and report all information to headquarters as soon as they arrive home at 3.10pm. You must remember this is a competition for YOUR child to get that place at Grammar School! Don't be fooled by the whole 'SILLY MUM' act, when she approaches you and says timidly "I'm not sure what papers I should be using or how many times a week I should be setting tests,"
BE WARNED....these parents know exactly what papers to use. Don't be fooled by the question "Have you started work with your little Jimmy yet? We haven't started any work with our sweet little Abby, we've only been giving her a few questions to sit here and there". Once again, this is a CON, they're sniffing about for information, checking out the competition... The parents who target you or your child for information on the transfer process know exactly what papers to use, how many papers a week to set, what tutors to use etc etc..... and I can guarantee you they have been setting those papers a good year or two before the practice tests are given in school.
Just keep your head down, you know what's best for your child and what topics they are weak on, just keep working with your child and please don't leave it all until the summer holidays before the actual tests. Too much stress for everyone involved!!!! But mostly be wary of the Mums at the school gate who relentlessly talk about their child achieving but all of a sudden they are lost when it comes to the transfer test process. Don't be fooled by this, they will plague you with telephone calls, emails, texts, whatever it takes to get sweet little Abby that place.......and then when the process is over, they will quite gladly pass you in the street and pretend they don't know you. If you do decide to give all your precious research and information away on the transfer test process, then be prepared for a bundle of lies in return. These parents will certainly not let you in on the papers they are using, or any of the research they have been storing away for the past 10 years in their sneaky little brains.
Good luck with the whole process and work hard. :D
SunlampVexesEel

Re: A View from Northern Ireland

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

:D Just love the content provided by posters with total post count 1.

I'm also surprised B&D wasn't around again to ask the time of this week's TGS Stage 2 test re-run.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SunlampVexesEel wrote: :D Just love the content provided by posters with total post count 1.
Post no 2 or 700 or 1900 can only come after no. 1. :wink:
Let's hope to hear again from TransferTest.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Poor TransferTest. He or she obviously speaks from bitter experience. Some people can be horribly secretive or have strange opinions about the 11plus. When my son got his Tiffin place on 1st March whatever year it was, another family accused us of "cheating" as we had used a tutor for an hour and a half per week for a year to prepare v/nv technique.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

So many parents post useful information and tips here on this forum, and information available on this website is so useful that one does not need to interact with the secretive parents at the School gate. However, we experienced some parents who were extremely kind to us and gave all sort of advice and ideas about the practice papers. We could not have done DIY without them. Thanks a lot to our real friends.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Speak for yourself, I ensure to never post anything useful.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:Speak for yourself, I ensure to never post anything useful.

Regards
SVE
:?:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Arf arf SVE.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

The sad bit is, what transfer test, said is very true.

I am quite open...and helpful to those who ask me direct questions. But if i smell anything sneaky, then i keep my distance.

Saying that in this forum, particulary the area that i usually post in( trafford) is very good and helpful. Most of what i know about 11 plus exams was thru asking question in the forum. I remeber last year, i was only a novice....but now...even though i dont consider myself as an expert, i wil pass on the knowledge of what i know, if someone asks a geniune question. Time and experience teaches you to decide what information to impart, and how to do it.

Good night :D
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

I must say that I got dinner party invites from people I barely knew when DD got into Tiffin Girls'. Disappointingly I had to tell them that she got herself in because she is clever rather than some magical technique I had invented. Quite a few in DD's year were tutored by the renowned Mrs Walsh, so perhaps in that era people in the know had a distinct advantage. I think there is less mystique around the process these days, thanks to these forums!