A and AS level reforms

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kit

A and AS level reforms

Post by Kit »

I'm trying to understand what will be happening with A and AS level reforms and how this will affect my DD (currently Yr8) but am frankly a bit baffled.

I think I might have this bit correct, confirmation anyone?

1. AS levels will no longer count towards the full A level
2. A levels will go back to what they were in my day i.e. linear exams all at the end of two years
3. These changes will start for children entering Yr12 in Sept 2015 for Most subjects then 2016 for Maths and languages, i.e it will affect the current Yr 10 and younger

But

Does this mean a child who would at the moment do, say, 4 AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics and drop one to complete 3 full A levels would now under the new system:

3. Still take 4 AS levels in the same subjects of Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics, but have these as a separate qualification and then take the 3 scienceA levels
or
4. Not take any AS levels at all, but just take the 3 full A levels in science
or
5. Take some totally unrelated AS levels in Yr12 e.g. English, History, Art and at the same time have lessons for the full science A levels but only take the A level exams at the end of year 13?

Are these changes all definitely going ahead, or might this just be a way to keep a load of civil servants busy for them to ultimately decide it won't go ahead in the end?

I know this is deeply unpopular with Cambridge University but don't really understand the implications for our children. Any thoughts anyone?
moved

Re: A and AS level reforms

Post by moved »

I think it will help make the IB and the PreU more popular. Both courses are more suited to university and adult life as they have research style elements. Most modules have already gone. Current yr 12 take everything in the summer rather than half throughout the year.
Marylou

Re: A and AS level reforms

Post by Marylou »

Kit, I'm wondering the same thing myself. DD2 is in what is probably the last cohort under the "old" system and will be choosing her A-levels soon, reasonably sure of the subjects but not certain about (or even whether) to drop one of them at the end of Y12, but knowing that she'll have a qualification in it whatever. Whilst there is some merit in having more rigorous, linear A-levels, I do think separating out AS and A2 is a bad idea as you'd have to decide at the beginning of Y12 which subjects you are going to continue to the end of the course. Seems a bit daft to take away this flexibility, when you consider that students will probably cover the same stuff in Y12 whether they're doing AS or A2... :?

Like you I also have a child in Y8 and wonder how these reforms will affect him when the time comes. This whole policy seems to be like so much these days - imposed from on high with no real thought for the implications at the coal face!
Marylou