Opinions on Bancrofts Please!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HotCrossBun

Opinions on Bancrofts Please!

Post by HotCrossBun »

Hello, I am new to the forum :) and would like to ask what you think of Bancrofts School.

We went with our eldest daughter to have a look this past Saturday. The grounds were beautiful. The sports facilities fantastic. The girl who showed us around was sweet and well spoken. The boys demonstrating in the science labs were sparky and keen. The head was straightforward and respectable. So far all so good.

But, as we looked closer we realised that a great number of the children were focussed on maths/science. Which isn't a bad thing at all, but we wondered if Arts and Humanities are second best at Bancrofts. The Art studios were a little too clean. The passion all seemed to lie in getting into medical school or the city. Not bad goals, but maybe not our daughter's strong suits.

So, I guess what I am wondering is whether second best arts and humanities at Bancrofts is still better than the more balanced offerings at our other two local schools Chigwell and Forest.
muffinmonster

Re: Opinions on Bancrofts Please!

Post by muffinmonster »

Hi HotCrossBun

We looked at Bancrofts for our DD (now 16) and DS (now 13), and my impression was that it is highly academic. I was particularly interested in the music provision, and I felt that the musical offering on the open evenings wasn't very impressive (huge contrast with Forest there). That said, it gets the best exam results of the three, by quite a margin if I remember rightly.

My DS is now at Forest and we are very happy with our choice (and so is he). He is bright and being stretched, and given opportunities to shine in Maths and Science, but there are also plenty of musical and other opportunities for him. I do think that Forest is a good all-round school, and genuinely has something to offer every child, whatever their strengths.

My DD has just moved to Sixth Form at Chigwell so we are still getting to know it and I can't really offer any useful insights. The House Music was great, though!

Hope this is of some help. Personally I think they are all good schools.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

there is an old thread from last year, if you would like to have a look at it

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 31&t=30878
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Thank you for your replies. It's good to hear about your experiences at Forest and Chigwell muffinmonster.
We visited Forest and dd was certainly won over. They had loads going, music, sport, teachers demonstrating etc. They also really focussed on the children visiting rather than talking over their heads to the parents. They charmed the socks of her and it seemed like a happy place.

Thanks for the link leanmeamum.

I can see that there is a real sense of purpose at Bancrofts for kids who know they want to go into the City or Medicine. There was a definite buzz about the science labs. I just wonder if dd turns out to be more interested in art or literature, will it be as dynamic at Bancrofts or would it really be just second best.