Primary maths challenge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wolves mum

Primary maths challenge

Post by Wolves mum »

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of the primary maths challenge. Is it quite easy or is it a good indication of your child's ability?
yoyo123

Re: Primary maths challenge

Post by yoyo123 »

my year 6 children have just done it, it was tough
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is a national maths challenge run in most primary schools. It is primarily aimed at Y6 but top Y5 kids are also often put in. They have to score really well to be awarded a Gold, Silver or Bronze medal. As yoyo said, it is very tough - in both my sons years' they got Gold levels and achieved/are on target to achieve L6 SATs and those that got Silver were L5 level, so that gives you an idea of how difficult it is. It is quite usefully, I think, as a tool as it gives an idea of where they sit nationally, not just in our little village school - although, it is one test on one day - and very simple things like not being well, being distracted by another child messing about can lose you one or two marks which can be the difference...bit like the 11+!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the little book, it is very good imo I bought it After the challenge, as ds1 and ds2 both got involved and I wanted to know more about it. I do not think it is to judge the kids in any way, more to get them thinking about maths, and having fun with it. They also did world maths challenge, which they loved, as they instantly competed against people on the far side of the world over the internet.

Ds2 did quite well in this challenge in year 5, as timing was not a real issue, unlike other tests where he runs out of time! School did not register to do it this year.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I do not think it is to judge the kids in any way, more to get them thinking about maths, and having fun with it.
Yes, it is not an exam.

Here, one of the local grammar schools host it and children from the surrounding primaries go along. They really enjoy it
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

yoyo123 wrote:Yes, it is not an exam.

Here, one of the local grammar schools host it and children from the surrounding primaries go along. They really enjoy it
Oh, DS did that last summer - didn't know it had a name, just thought it was the local comp touting for good prospective mathematicians! I went along for the training session and it was great fun! The children had never done maths competitively before, except amongst their peers :)

JD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JamesDean, must have been something different.

The Primary Maths challenge is a school competition in November each year; high scorers then compete in a national competition the following February.

I have frequently recommended it on here.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Have had a look on the school website and this is what he did, UK Mathematics Trust - http://www.ukmt.org.uk/team-challenges/ ... resources/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It was really good and got the kids working as a team :)

JD
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 was part of a team from his primary school which took part in a "Maths Quiz" at a local secondary school at the end of May this year (i.e. when he was in year 5. I don't remember being told that there was any kind of second round to go on to, but as that wasn't relevant, given where their team ranked, I may just have forgotten.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't realised it was such a big deal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now