Waiting list offers.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Natalie74

Waiting list offers.

Post by Natalie74 »

Just wondered how the process of offering a place from the waiting list worked. Reading posts from last year, people talk about being offered a place from the waiting list. Is this done at the same time as when they offer the places that children have earned from their scores, i.e. 120 children for CHB. Or would they wait to see how many drop out from that 120 first?

Do you go on the waiting list for more than one school? Don't think my son has a chance of getting into CHB scoring 120, if he gets into BV could he go on the waiting list for FW as he's more likely to get a place there from the scores. We chose CHB 1st , FW 2nd and BV 3rd.

I think what I'm trying to say (rather badly) is say if he's offered a place at BV, and the score is brought down due to more places available to let's say FW goes down to 122 (fingers crossed lol) would he be on the waiting list for FW as he's much nearer their qualifying score rather than what I put as first place CHB.
Happy dad

Re: Waiting list offers.

Post by Happy dad »

You cannot be offered off the waiting list until places offered have been refused. The places are offered on 3 March, and places are offered from waiting lists from very soon after that for several months.

If a school was a higher preference you get automatically put on the waiting list and will be offered if a place becomes available. You can ask to be put on the waiting list for a school of lower preference if your circumstances have changed since you filled in the form.
CuriousDuo

Post by CuriousDuo »

The 3rd of March? I thought it was the 1st . Please correct me if I'm wrong.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

CuriousDuo wrote:The 3rd of March? I thought it was the 1st . Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Monday 3rd March 2014 is national secondary offers day, CuriousDuo. 1st is a Saturday, which is why I'm guessing its the 3rd this year - no-one at the LA to push the send button on the email system! :lol:

JD
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You will need to be fairly patient as people won't immediately decline places at schools - they may be waiting to hear from elsewhere or do their sums again over indie places.

There are always some places for children on the waiting list - remember that many of the children who ultimately go to KES / KEHS and other indies will have a GS place on March 3rd and will at some point turn these down ..
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to all of this, but what is an 'indie place?'
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Private schools e.g. king Edwzrds School for boys, Bromsgrove School etc. fees will be payable unless one is fortunate enough to get a s housr ship or bursary e.g. If family income is under £20,000 then a place at KES is free.

Indie places do not need to be put on the CAF so some children will be offered a place by the local authority and subsequently turn it down when they accept an indie place. The majority of places freed up on the waiting lists are the result of children accepting indie places.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Oh thank you for letting me know. Where does the word 'indie' come from then?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Indie=Independant

Independent schools are private I.e fee paying .
Last edited by moseleymum on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Natalie74 wrote:Oh thank you for letting me know. Where does the word 'indie' come from then?

short for "independent"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now