GRAMMAR LEAGUE TABLES-2007

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GRAMMAR LEAGUE TABLES-2007

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know how the 'Bucks Grammars 'did this year for GCSE/A 'LEVEL.
Which Topped the tables overall? Is there a table just for the 'GRAMMARS'.
Thanks.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

this is grammars alone - but for the whole country. I've not seen a county based grammar only table anywhere
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

forgot the link!! :wink:

stressed ... see North Yorks posts!!!

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schoolt ... 44,00.html
hugh

Post by hugh »

They all did very well.

Beyond that, t depends which league table you look at, because they calculate differently. I enjoyed comparing them when published in different newspapers etc a few months back, but didn't keep them because I think they're of limited usefulness.

For instance, some rank on average total points per pupil (so sitting an extra non-academic subject or two can boost league table position), but others work on average points per pupil in, for example, their best 8 GCSEs (so schools where they all do more than that, don't get any credit for it). And some put the partially selective (~30% of intake) schools in Watford as grammars, some as comprehensives, neither of which is true.

League tables are fine for contrasting the very good and very bad (but you invariable know which those are anyway). But they not good for making meaningful comparisons between similar schools. In Bucks, the grammars get high points, the uppers less so, but if you're comparing one single year's results at one grammar with one single year's results at another grammar, I don't think you can infer much at all.

All the grammars are good academically, what probably matters more is the general culture of the school and how well that matches your child.

That's meant to be helpful, but apologies if it doesn't sound that way.
patricia

Post by patricia »

hugh wrote: All the grammars are good academically, what probably matters more is the general culture of the school and how well that matches your child.
This is exactly what I say to all my parents!

Well said..

Patricia
Gordiamus

Post by Gordiamus »

Is there no academic difference between Burnham and RGS for example?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not really - their intake profiles are not the same - remember until the current Y9 some schools selected on how far past 121 you got. There are HUGE differences in number of pupils with 3 level 5s between schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now