Move to Colchester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

su1920

Move to Colchester

Post by su1920 »

Hi

I plan to move to Colchester as my son will likely to get the school (we put it a first choice) I need some advice of an area where house prices are reasonable/area is nice. I hear Stanway is a good area to live in.

Anyt thoughts and advise would be very useful. I also have another Son so we will be looking for a primary school as well.

Many thanks in advance
KB

Re: Move to Colchester

Post by KB »

Do a trawl through previous threads as there is lots of useful info already been posted over last few months.
Stanway is mixed and there are several primary school - not all of which might be acceptable.
Maldon Road or Prettygate might be a better option or out to Copford if its West side you are interested in.
su1920

Post by su1920 »

Thanks for the comments. I had a look at the thread in March but it's very useful.

Any information regarding Prettygate/Shrub end schools and the area itself would be useful.
Rubycat

Post by Rubycat »

Perhaps, I am a bit biased, but my daughter went to Hamilton Road, I thought it was a lovely school really happy, and it gets good 11 plus results, nice area, 5 to 10 minutes walk to CRGS, from 2 years ago 6 girls and one boy went to the Grammar schools, a few years before they had 12 or 13 achieve a place at CRGS and CCHS, it consistently gets places, the teaching must be very good at the school, they have a high % of Level 5 and Level 6 especially as they didn't seem to get homework, just weekly spellings.
KB

Post by KB »

You can get the OFSTED reports online and probably best making appointments to go and look at all options.
Hamilton, Home Farm and Prettygate would I think be your options
Have you investigated the application process and which ones might have places?

possible useful links

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schoo ... place.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://schooladmissions.essexcc.gov.uk/ ... pe=Primary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
su1920

Post by su1920 »

Thank you very much for the help.

I will start the process from 16 Dec when I get sometime off from my work. I hope I will get a place in one of these schools if we meet the selection criteria.

Travelling to London from one these places - Mark Tay would be closure I guess?

Any inputs on the house prices in this area would be very helpful although i can get this info from various sites but any input is welcome.
KB

Post by KB »

Generally speaking prices higher in Shrub End then Prettygate and then Copford or Marks Tey.

Marks Tey station has fewer trains but is easier/ quicker to get to and park etc than Colchester is you are looking on the West side of town.
Good bus service to CRGS from Marks Tey and Copford if you live close to the main road and you can walk to the station from parts so might also be worth looking at the schools there.