St Helens school northwood

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SleepyHead

St Helens school northwood

Post by SleepyHead »

Sorry for posting if this has already been answered, but I've got confused as to whether St Helens school test NVR or not. I know they test Maths and English (via the consortium exam) and VR as well. Do they throw some NVR type questions into either Maths or VR without having an entire paper dedicated to the subject.

Did search St Helens NVR but would appreciate if a parent in the know would quickly put me out of my misery. DD is struggling with NVR and I don't want to spend ages if it's not a large part of the assessment.

Realise that HABS assess NVR as well though - so we can't ignore it completely. :(
SHertsDad

Re: St Helens school northwood

Post by SHertsDad »

SleepyHead wrote:Sorry for posting if this has already been answered, but I've got confused as to whether St Helens school test NVR or not.
They only do consortium exams - not sure how interview is anyway, as NVR can be quickly assessed.
SleepyHead wrote:Realise that HABS assess NVR as well though - so we can't ignore it completely. :(
In an way you answered the question here... ;-)
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thanks shertsdad - you are quite right - even if there isn't a separate paper on it - it can be assessed during interview. Best get on with it!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Habs test NVR??

<panic> We haven't done any for ages!
roselyn

Post by roselyn »

SleepyHead,

As per HABs website -
Candidates sit three exams: Verbal reasoning, English and Mathematics.

https://www.habsgirls.org.uk/calendar.p ... 2014-01-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

couldnt find NVR....
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dd's sat Habs and I have known girls sitting every year since including this year! It has always been VR, English and Maths but some prep parents I know have been talking very recently about an internal letter that has been sent to the Year Sixes about changes to the exam so let me check my sources and get back to you. DG
11plusmad

Post by 11plusmad »

Reasoning A mixture of questions on verbal, non-verbal and mathematical reasoning. We recommend the use of sample papers available from major newsagents such as W.H.Smith. It is useful to practise 2 or 3 of these papers to familiarise the candidate with the style of question, but not to overdo it!

This is from habs boys website not sure about girls though!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now