Help with choosing new car

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Proud_Dad

Re: Help with choosing new car

Post by Proud_Dad »

doodles wrote:What about the new VW Up! then? Joking aside my mum has just bought one and it is great - quite new though so may not be too many secondhand around yet.
Obviously named after Russ Meyer's 1976 soft core adult film comedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up!_(1976_film" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Not to be confused with the more recent Disney Pixar animated feature which doesn't have an exclamation mark in the title!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Going completely of thread here...but I am sure I saw a car called " equus" the other day..cannot say make or model, I was to busy telling the kids my sniggering was nothing to worry about!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Don't buy a Citroen! We have a C8 (seats 8 which is useful) but it broke down in France after a £400 service and cost £800 to have corrected. It's like a tank to drive.

VW/Skoda would be my recommendation too. They're good cars.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My sister loves kias. Only make of car she has owned that she hasn't had trouble with. (

Myself, I'm more of an Italian car sort of girl, but will make an exception for a classic mini.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My sister loves kias
I just couldn't buy something called a cee'd. Not rude (I don't think!), but what an awful name. And why the appostrophe? Did they think it made it look sophisticated in some way?
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

She has had a picanto and now has a Rio(?) I think. Her husband has a sportage.
I do like the way Jeremy Clarkson calls the cee'd a 'cee apostrophe d', instead of pronouncing it 'seed'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

In Sweden I saw something called a Duster.

We travelled round Europe in a C8 GInx - the best thing was the slidey doors so you don't worry about kids walloping neighbouring cars in a car park. But yes it is like a bus to drive.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Toyota Yaris - brilliant, easy to drive and economical to run.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Amber, you are right, the slidey doors on the C8 are good because you don't slam a door into another car when you get out. Our Citroen is quite old; I think newer models have electric sliding doors. Dh is of the opinion that too many electrical gadgets aren't necessarily a good idea, as they are difficult to fix if they go wrong. So you have to pull ours hard and slide them open hard.

And it is good for giving other kids' lifts (having four children myself, there are occasions when I carry a bus load of them around) and it's good for holidays, as we pile all kinds of things in, we take out a seat. It's fine driving on motorways, it's things like parking that I have problems with.

My parking is appalling. No matter how hard I try. Dh says it's because I'm female. :shock: I deny that; he then points out that some friends of mine can't park either (all female).

A brand new Citroen would be a different thing. Our number plate begins ND which sounds like "end" which just describes our car.

Our neighbours change their cars every year :shock: we wouldn't want to do that if we could afford it. We have a second car, a Honda Jazz. Ds1 had hysterics when we bought it. He studies Whatcar? magazine as I wish he would study homework. All comments about the Honda Jazz are that it is "popular with older people". Well, it's not at all exciting but so reliable, which is all I want. I'm obviously an older person. :D Oh, just crossing posts with Guest55; Toyotas are great cars.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Dh says it's because I'm female. I deny that...
Aren't you?