STAMFORD ENDOWED SCHOOLS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GOTNOMONEY

STAMFORD ENDOWED SCHOOLS

Post by GOTNOMONEY »

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS SCHOOL. WE HAVE A DAUGHTER WHO MISSED THE 11 PLUS BY A WHISKER AND WE HAVE JUST LOST OUR APPEAL.
WE HAVE VERY LITTLE MONEY BUT ARE PREPARED TO MOVE HOUSE IF NECESSARY TO GIVE HER A GOOD EDUCATION . THE LOCAL SEC MODS AND COMPS WOULD BE TOTALLY UNSUITABLE FOR HER AS SHE HAS BEEN BULLIED VERY BADLY AND WE ARE AWARE OF MANY INSTANCES OF THIS IN THESE SCHOOLS. WE HAVE TRIED TO GET SOME ASSURANCES FROM THE SCHOOLS CONCERNED BUT NONE GIVE US MUCH CONFIDENCE THAT THEY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT DEALING WITH PARTICULAR ISSUES.

Post by Guest »

In case you were not aware bullying is present in both the state and public schooling systems. It is rather naive of you to think by going to a school where you are required to pay, your child is magically prevented from being bullied.
Nou

Post by Nou »

It is true that bullying exists in most schools but from my experience private schools do something about it and state schools don't. My child was bullied at a state school and the school refused to intervene. She attends a private school which has a zero tolerance to bullying - kids are sometimes mean to each other but bullying as such does not exist.
It can be done.
It is the school's attitude that is important and the parent who originally posted appeared to be talking about that!
elaine

COUNTY COUNCIL SCHOLARSHIPS

Post by elaine »

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE SCHOLARSHIP EXAM DUE TO BE TAKEN AT THE END OF JANUARY 08 IS BASED ON NFER PAPERS STANDARD OR MULTI CHOICE?
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi Elaine, you probably know the answer to your question by now but it is the multiple choice format that they use. Did you go to the recent open day?
Louise
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nothing particular to do with the thread in question but just to say that if you are unlucky with the 11 plus as we were then Stamford High is an utterly brilliant alternative if you are able to fund the fees. Our daughter is extremely nervous in new situations but the school has been fantastic in helping her to settle in.We have had to perform some very severe adjustments to our family budget but do feel that it has paid off.We really do believe that she is in the right school for her. The state alternative to our local grammar would definitely not have been the right place to send her although many students do achieve well there.I think that the old euphemism "horses for courses" is never truer than in this situation.The extremely civilised and generally calm atmosphere at Stamford High suits her very well and her start to secondary education could not have been any better.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Ian
Couldn't agree more. Our son started at Stamford School this September and although he's finding it very tiring he loves it! He missed achieving the pass mark for 11 plus and we did go down the appeal route which was unsuccessful. Going to Stamford was the only thing that made us feel better about the the whole horrible 11 plus experience. My husband and i are slowly coming to accept that we'll be in debt for a long time to come but I'm sure it'll be worth it - they're great schools.
Louise
Alex

Post by Alex »

Louise,

It is really good to know that your son is so happy at Stamford.

Ian,

You too with your daughter - I am kind of hoping you are the same person who has written under a number of different names who went through a rough time.
katel

Post by katel »

I'm glad you are happy with your children's schools, but I do think it's a bit unfair to judge all state schools by your horrible experience. It is simply not true to say that state schools do nothing about bullying and private ones have a zero tolerance approach to the problem. There are good and bad in both sectors - 'paid for' is not necessarily better!
Alex

Post by Alex »

To be fair I did not get the impression that the above posters were judging all state schools by their experiences - they were merely unhappy with the particular alternatives to the Grammar School in their area.

In Lincolnshire one's choice of schools varies greatly with where you live - some lucky people may have the choice of a Grammar school and one of the top performing comprehensives in the country with excellent reputations for pastoral care etc; for others the only viable alternative(s) to the Grammar may be very poorly performing schools, no sixth forms, and some very dubious reputations.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now