Recommended Primary Schools in Gloucester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DrColin

Recommended Primary Schools in Gloucester

Post by DrColin »

Dear All,

Is there any source of information detailing the 11+ scores of primary schools in Gloucestershire?
SATS and ranking is not always an accurate source of information.

Many thanks in advance.
Amber

Re: Recommended Primary Schools in Gloucester

Post by Amber »

Primary schools have little interest in and no input into the 11+ and as the system is an opt-in one I doubt they necessarily even know which children have sat the exam. I think you can probably make a loose correlation between the leafiness of the area the school is in and the number of entrants, and that is probably about as far as that data would go. I suppose if it is a factor for you in a choice of school the only thing you could do is ask around.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi there, I've never heard anything, but to be honest I'm not sure it would be a true representation anyway.. You will find excellent primaries where few pupils go on to grammar and vice versa
DrColin

Post by DrColin »

Many thanks for such prompt answers.

I am considering this avenue as my daughter is currently 8 years, and with Gloucestershire adopting CEM from Durham, which seems to focus more on background knowledge and learned conceptual structures in all three domains, it perhaps is a good time to think about the input of schooling in development of these skills/knowledge base.

Furthermore, the social environment of school clearly impacts upon personal motivation, progress in the classroom, and if providing a suitable educational environment should contribute greatly to the development of the child, not only for 11 plus tests but also for success after entry to one of the Grammar schools (hopefully).

Hence, I am trying to survey primary schools and 11 plus results. I am very grateful for any help in the regard.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

You might have more chance of getting this information if you were to ask the grammars for the primary schools their Y7 intake was drawn from over, say, the last 5 years. It might take an FOI request to get it, but I've seen the same information released upon request elsewhere.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

DrColin wrote:... it perhaps is a good time to think about the input of schooling in development of these skills/knowledge base.

Furthermore, the social environment of school clearly impacts upon personal motivation, progress in the classroom, and if providing a suitable educational environment should contribute greatly to the development of the child, not only for 11 plus tests but also for success after entry to one of the Grammar schools (hopefully).

Hence, I am trying to survey primary schools and 11 plus results. I am very grateful for any help in the regard.
As the CEM test hasn't yet been taken in Gloucestershire, there are no results that you could link to a primary schools teaching. Even once there is data to be linked, you'd have to go to ask for that data from each Primary school and as Amber says, the primaries are highly unlikely to know which children took the test.

As for Okanagans suggestion about asking the Grammars, I don't really think it would prove anything. For instance, my children went to a primary with (in many years) a very high number of children passing the test. The head teacher was very anti-selective and absolutely nothing was done in school to help prepare for the test (all the schools energy went into preparing for SATS). The children passed despite the primary school, yet the statistics would appear to show that they passed because of the school. How will getting the schools to spend time and money producing those statistics help you?

Another thought is that a primary may have excellent teaching and have taught the children the curriculem correctly and fully, whereas the actual intake they have happens not to have any children in the top band bright enough to pass the CEM test. Your daughter could go to that school and pass the CEM where there's no history of passes from that school; conversly you may find primaries with quite a high percentage of their pupils passing the 11+, but in fact the school has not taught them particularly well - the children having prepared for the test by widely reading at home.
Capers
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

In either Friday or Saturday Citizen would have been a list of how all the schools did in last Years SATs with how many got level 4 and level 5. This might help give you some idea especially in the academic stakes looking at the change.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now