Is it possible?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Natalie74

Is it possible?

Post by Natalie74 »

After a lot of worry, thought and conciderstion, I've decided to request to take BV off my DS preference list. Does anyone know if this is possible at such a late stage? I understand that I won't be able to add another choice. My DS started becoming anxious about the long journey he'd have to do each day. I'd rather he go to a normal secondary school rather than going to a GS and worrying about travelling.

Anyone know if it would be possible to remove a choice of school off the list, or know anyone who has been able to?
DC17C

Re: Is it possible?

Post by DC17C »

I suspect there will not be much you can do until after allocation day now. How long a journey will it be? My ds is leaving home at 7.10 in the morning to catch a bus. H earrives at school at 8.10. School starts at 8.35 He could leave later - 7.30 amd still get a bus in time but prefers the earlier bus as it is quieter. Even my dd is up and out by 7.30 and I really never thought she would cope with it as she used to struggle to get up to get out for primary school.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

He'd have at least an hours journey by bus and train. It's a 24 mile round trip. Just thinking in the winter, when it's dark it won't be too pleasant for him. He's started to worry about it. We did do a few trial runs on the train months ago. But recently he's started to become anxious about it. I've written to the 'Admissions Department' to explain the situation. It does say on the form they won't 'change the preference list' unless there is an exceptional change of circumstances. I don't want to change a choice, just remove one. X
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

It's amazing how quickly our babies grow up.. One minute in year 7, blink of an eye, in year 9!! First few days are daunting, then they make buddies and it all settles down.
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

Yes you can until end of December. Who is your local authority? If Wolverhampton, the contact is Emma Pearson, schools admissions officer.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Oh really??? It's Birmingham we're in. Do you think they will allow me to remove it? Thank you for your reply.
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

Sorry,I should clarify,they give you till December to submit, even though they say October on the forms.

Dunno about Birmingham. Your first point of call is your local admissions officer.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I changed my son's choice a few years ago in bucks, we also changed to a closer school that was previously second on the list, both grammars but one had a free bus, and was much much easier to access from our home. We realised we were just making extra work and extra costs for ourselves for very little reason, that seemed more trivial as time progressed.

I just rang the admissions team and they dropped it off the list, just say you have realised the transport costs are too expensive and they will probably be fine.

Good luck to your dc in their new school, whichever one it may be.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

My neighbour changed in December and it was accepted, so should be possible.
Lots of kids travel over an hour each way, but I completely understand where u r coming from and if the nearer school is good, he will have lots more spare time and probably or definitely be near top of his class.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Natalie74 wrote:He'd have at least an hours journey by bus and train. It's a 24 mile round trip. Just thinking in the winter, when it's dark it won't be too pleasant for him. He's started to worry about it. We did do a few trial runs on the train months ago. But recently he's started to become anxious about it. I've written to the 'Admissions Department' to explain the situation. It does say on the form they won't 'change the preference list' unless there is an exceptional change of circumstances. I don't want to change a choice, just remove one. X
That is quite a trek - my kids schools are only about 5-6 miles away- just the bus goes a long way round. We can do the journey by car in 15-20 mins which is great for emergencies which is great also means DD can do her after school clubs etc and I can collect easily. Hope you can change it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now