Met Form teacher today......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SPUD

Met Form teacher today......

Post by SPUD »

......who tells me he's getting on just fine, lots of accomendations, made friends blah blah, then just 'pops' out in passing that there have been a few incidents of him getting picked on for being so small - no surprise - he IS small. First I'd heard though- my son hadn't said a word to me! When i asked him tonight he said its not that bad - but dont tell anyone - ie his older brother (in a diffrent school from him).

Has anyone been through a similar thing? Any advice on how to go with this would be appreciated!

:?
Sue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Children can be horrible to each other and will pick on anything that makes someone 'different' be it height, wearing glasses, accent ....

It's good that the school have noticed but how are they dealing with it? In my opinion anything like this needs nipping in the bud IMMEDIATELY - or else the school is condoing it. This is not difficult in Y7 -
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

My son has the same problems,as he is small. But not as small as your boy spud. He had a terrible time in his last year at primary,not just because he was small,but because he was/is bright aswell. I think it all depends on the child,and how they deal with it,and of course the support of the parents/family. This huge bully actually kicked him in the chest and marked him while he was playing football. The parents were the sort who think their son is perfect,and no way would my son do that, sort of attitude. The police were involved etc..It was a nightmare. This is why i decided to apply to an independent school. There has been one incident where there was some pushing and shoving, it started at a party,then carried on into the Monday at school. My son is actually a friend of this other boy. There are three of them who hang out with each other at school. Both my sons form tutor and myself both agreed that maybe the three thing was a bit of a crowd. Everything is fine now. A bit of pecking order maybe,but the school is hot on the bullying thing. In their first assembly it was the main topic! There are bullying boxes and prefects who the shells(yr 7s) can go to. The bullying boxes are for the children to post a note if they feel they are being bullied and cannot go to anyone.
I always tell my son that, because he is small does not mean he has to accept the way some people want to treat him. I say things like all good things come in small packages, and although he may not excel in sport(he has perthes desease) he makes up for it in other ways. He has an excellent mind. We have to just be there for our children, and help them develop the backbone to get through life. My child is confident and is doing well in his new school. Of course it is inevitable that there will most probebly be other problems,but we are there for our children,and they will grow up to be successful adults...Albiet small adults. All the best spud,to you and your wonderful small son. PS.It sounds to me that he is mature and feels he wants to deal with it himself. Sometimes we are afraid as parents for them to do that. Just take a back seat sort of thing,and let them work it out themselves. As long as they are happy and acheiving. We know when our children are not happy and when there is something wrong. :) Then of course we will stand with them and support them through it.
SPUD

Post by SPUD »

Thanks 55 and 1965.

He seems ok, just a bit annoyed - so i'm trying to not get all over bearing. Hopefully it will settle down, i feel for him coz its something he will always and has always had to deal with, he must get so bored of it! Wow you're small - well yes I am! I suppose it happens to any child not classed as the 'norm' - tall, overweight, underweight - anything that they can get their nasty hooks into!
Sue

Post by Guest »

My son is quite 'small but perfectly formed' (LOL). He calls anyone who calls him small a 'lank' and he seems quite happy with this. I think it is just annoying for him. I just try to think of it as a good lesson in life. The work place is full of bullies. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I would definitely have a word with the school if I thought it was more serious though but he has a great sense of humour and loads of mates. Of course it's usually your mates who are the worse culprits!

Post by Guest »

Unfortunately, the opposite can be true as well. My son is an August boy, and for his age, 11, he 5'4" already and somethimes kids older than him try it on. He may be tall, but he is by no means hard and so he could suffer the same by being picked on.

I do Taekwon Do and so does my son, I hope that this will be put him in good stead if he needs to use it. For all those parents with small kids, enrole them on Karate classes, you will soon see their confidence grow and they won't feel so small.

Good Luck
Gordiamus

Post by Gordiamus »

I would second this. My son has been doing judo for a while now, and it has given him confidence.
Healing Mum

Self defence

Post by Healing Mum »

I agree with the other recommendations.

My son is small for his age and he has been doing karate since he was six (he is nearly 11 now). His next belt will be black. Our reasoning was that he is always going to be on the small side so we didn't want him bullied and our tactics have worked so far. It will be interesting to see if anything changes once he goes to secondary school next year.

His sister who is 8 also does karate (started aged 4) and her confidence has been boosted enormously as she tended to be shy on occasions.

If you playfully "attack" either of them then the self defence moves come automatically and it can hurt - believe me I know!

Re: Self defence

Post by Guest »

Healing Mum wrote: If you playfully "attack" either of them then the self defence moves come automatically and it can hurt - believe me I know!
Is that why your name is Healing Mum? :lol: :lol:
The forum is too quiet and I have read everything in sight and all are watching the rugby,I presume. Actually, I now know where Healing is and karate is a wonderful sport!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh, THAT is why the forum is quiet...I hadn't remembered about the rugby!