Another CAF question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Defra

Another CAF question

Post by Defra »

Hi all

When completing CAF is the decision for grammar schools based solely on results - will any supplementary info be taken into account. Asking on behalf of a friend.

Thks.
hermanmunster

Re: Another CAF question

Post by hermanmunster »

depends on the oversubscription criteria - so results / distance etc

basically put the schools on the CAF - you don't need to give them any more info as they have all that is needed.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on what kind of supplementary information your friend is referring to. All the schools have to take statemented children first and there could be medical grounds on which a child would need to be admitted to a particular school. If this is the kind of supplementary information your friend is asking about, then I would strongly recommend they read the admission criteria for the particular schools that they are interested in as it's very difficult for me to say what would or would not be taken into account. The exact criteria for each grammar school can be found on their respective websites.

If it's priority area admission that your friend is referring to then to the best of my knowledge, this is how it works.

KEGS and CCHS have a 12.5 mile priority admission area. Places are given based on results to children within this area first, after which they are allocated based entirely on results. I can't speak for KEGS because I don't know exactly how their system works but CCHS stated that they have two lists. One is a ranked order of merit for in catchment children and one is a ranked order of merit of all children. The first 96 places are filled from the first list, the next 24 places are filled from the second list.

Any supplementary info regarding proof of residence within the catchment area was provided prior to the exam. At least it was for CCHS, I don't know about KEGS but assume the same.

WHSG, WHSB, SHSB, SHSG all have a priority admission area and children who reside in that area who scored over 303 are guaranteed a place at one of those 4 schools. The out of catchment places are offered based on scores alone. Again, I assume that proof of residence within the catchment area was provided prior to the exam.

CRGS and ColCHS do not have a priority admission area and admission to those schools is based entirely on scores.
Defra

Post by Defra »

Thanks all. Very helpful. Will pass on.
coolmum2011

Post by coolmum2011 »

Apart from the CAF form , were we supposed to fill any other forms for the grammar schools or local schools ? My DS has done his 11 plus and we did fill the form to do the 11 plus . I got a letter a letter from a local school school saying I haven't filled the SIF form ...hence a bit concerned :(
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Coolmum, which local school? We have applied for a state catholic school on our CAF and that had a SIF - it was given out at the open evening, or I do believe you can ring the school office for one. If the school has a SIF to complete it will be in the Essex admissions booklet on the Essex LA website... Hope that helps.
bravado

Post by bravado »

talea51 wrote:
CRGS and ColCHS do not have a priority admission area and admission to those schools is based entirely on scores.

May I mention that in cases where PAN is reached and there's a tie for the final place, Colchester County High may take criteria other than scores into account? This is taken straight from the 2014 - 2015 admissions' document/policy:

"Where there are a number of girls with equal aggregated test scores
competing for the last available place(s), preference will first be given to the
girl who is looked after*. Should this not resolve the allocation, then the
preference will be given to the girl on free school meals followed by the girl
living closest to the school by straight line measurement."

http://www.cchsg.com/index.php/about/policies#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

coolmum2011 wrote:Apart from the CAF form , were we supposed to fill any other forms for the grammar schools or local schools ? My DS has done his 11 plus and we did fill the form to do the 11 plus . I got a letter a letter from a local school school saying I haven't filled the SIF form ...hence a bit concerned :(
Hi
Was this from st Bernard's? I recieved too rung them they said need to fill out , I also spoke to LA they said wasn't needed unless was applying for place under other criteria church ect...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now