maths help

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest23

maths help

Post by guest23 »

Two dice are to be thrown together.

a) Which, if either, is more likely - that the dice will be the same (a double) or that they will be different? Give reason for ur answer

b) Which, if either, is more likely - that a double 6 will come up, or a double 1? Give reason for answer
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sorry, have a complete blind spot with probability. Looking forward to reading your posts......................
DS

Maths Help

Post by DS »

The probability of any given event is the number of preferred outcomes divided by the number of all possible outcomes.

When two dice are thrown together, the number of all possible outcomes are 36. You can write them out if you wish e.g. 1,1; 1,2; 1,3; 1,4; 1,5; 1,6; 2,1 etc.

Out of these, the number of preferred outcomes i.e. the number of ways in which a double can occur is 6 i.e. double 1, double 2, double3 .... double 6.

So the probability of a double is 6/36 = 1/6

Since all other outcomes are not doubles, the probability of these is 30/36 = 5/6.

So in answer to the first part of the question, the more likely outcome is that the two dice will show different numbers rather than that they will show the same number.

For the second part we need to consider the probability of a given double being thrown i.e. either 1,1 or 6,6 in this case.

Agai the total number of outcomes when throwing two dice is 36, but now, there is only one way in which we can throw a double 1 i.e. both dice showing 1. So the probability of this happening is 1/36.

In the same way, there is only one way in which a double 6 can be thrown i.e. bothe dice showing a 6 and so the probability of this is also 1/36.

So the probability of throwing a double 1 or a double 6 is exactly the same. Neither is more or less likely.

Hope all that makes sense.
guest23

Post by guest23 »

Made perfect sense, thank you.

Post by Guest »

Dear DS

your explanation is so clear, and straightfordward - bringing back such happy memories of A-level Stats nearly 20years ago!