Cippenham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ranmis

Cippenham

Post by ranmis »

I am considering to buy a house in Cippenham (near Slough). Can you please advise if this is a good or a bad move from the following perspective:

1. Grammar Schools

2. Neighbourhood

3. Racism

4. Crime

5. Flooding

6. Houses

7. Education in general
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

I used to live in Cippenham and know the area well, though we moved away approx 16 years ago (still local, though).

It is a ethnically diverse neighbourhood, I have no recollection of racism and in recent years nothing has occurred which would make me change this view. Primary schools are good, with a brand new school recently built for Western House school to transfer into. Cippenham Junior has spent a great deal of money on an impressive refurbishment and is developing an exciting, innovative curriculum.

Grammar schools are excellent - Cippenham is in catchment for Herschel Grammar, eligible pupils would probably also gain places in the other three Slough grammar schools. I have heard excellent reports of the local upper school, Westgate, particularly how polite and well behaved the pupils are when moving about the school.

The neighbourhood itself is a mix of new properties and older ones, when I lived in the area we did feel there was a lack of community resources (eg playgrounds, nice pubs, parks). Clearly the best thing for you to do is visit the area at different times of the day and see what you think.

Hope this helps.
ranmis

Moving to Cippenham for grammar schools

Post by ranmis »

I have heared of a lot of crime in Cippenham. The area is supposed to have a lot of council houses and there is supposed to be a sewage tank nearby which stinks - is all this true. Would you advise moving to cippenham for the sake of grammar schools. Will it be safe for growing children?
chad

Post by chad »

HI ranmis

I dont live in the Cippenham area but my sister-in-law did.
Yes there is a sewage plant in the area...yes if the wind is in the wrong direction on a hot summer's day you can catch a whiff. The same happened with the 'Mars' factory
During the time they lived there they only had one brush with crime.....van broken into and tools taken.
Yes there are council houses but it does depend on the what part of Cippenham. There is a fair amount of traffic on the Bath Road during most of the day as there are small retail parks and offices all along it.
Hope that is of some help.
Local grammar mum

Post by Local grammar mum »

My son was at a party last night (Saturday) in Cippenham, all grammar school kids, when the private house was gate crashed by local gang called CJR. Fighting/damaged property and police involved. This gang is currently gaining notority in the area - see local press following halloween, when they went on the rampage in nearby Taplow.
ranmis

Cippenham

Post by ranmis »

Hi Local grammar mum,

So what would you recommend - to buy or not to buy this house in Cippenham, for the sake of the grammar schools. Was this a one off or such incidents common in cippenham?

Post by Guest »

Hi Ranmis

These incidents seem on the increase recently, but perhaps just seems like it because it's involved my family. The grammars are great - choose your part of Cippenham with care would be my advice. Why not look at Burnham as well? Although officially some parts are out of area, the schools still offer the Slough 11+ and if your child passes with a good score (eg 113+), you would still get into one of the Slough grammars.
Local grammar mum

Post by Local grammar mum »

Last guest was me - forgot to add username.
ranmis

Cippenham

Post by ranmis »

Grammar school Mum,

Is Stowe Road in Cippenham alright?

Post by Guest »

Hi Ranmis, I also know Stowe Road and have lived in Cippenham for 18 years. As ive seen mentioned before it is used as a cut through at the busiest times of day ( me included) mainly to get out onto the Bath Road avoiding the traffic lights at the end of Elmshott Lane which seem to take an eternity to change especially when your're in a rush. There are deifinately worse places in Cippenham to live and Stowe Road is close to many local amenities - Village shops, Doctors surgeries, post office, Library and schools. I chose Cippenham 18 years ago as i didnt have a car back then and could walk to everything i needed and theres a lot to be said for that. My son went through the Nursery and Primary school in Cippenham and is now happliy settled in a local Grammar (and we still live in Cippenham)

Hope this helps

Sue
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now