Cloze Queen marys Walsall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
catwoman

Cloze Queen marys Walsall

Post by catwoman »

Hi everyone
When our DC are actually in the exam do they use a separate answer sheet to mark their answers or do they write the letters directly on the paper when doing the cloze (for both forms of clozes)? :?
I know these are only minor details but i think these small details will help :)
southbucks3

Re: Cloze Queen marys Walsall

Post by southbucks3 »

The options have letters above them, so find the answer find the letter, then each gap has a question number, the child puts a bar across the letter they have chosen in the corresponding answer number, on a separate answer sheet.

The first time my ds did this, he got completely mixed up, thankfully it was familiarisation, and his friends helped him through it afterwards, but a poor trackers nightmare really!

Sorry just realised this was queen Mary's...we were cem bucks...I will shut up and go away.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area, but I had a look at the sample questions on the school's website; it looks like answers are written on the paper.

http://www.qmgs.walsall.sch.uk/images/a ... 202013.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Unfortunately our cem sample was identically laid out to your download link, but the familiarisation and the real thing were as I waffled on about earlier. :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

southbucks3 wrote:Unfortunately our cem sample was identically laid out to your download link, but the familiarisation and the real thing were as I waffled on about earlier. :?
:shock:

Not very helpful, that, then...

In the instructions on the QM site it says that the answers are to be written in the booklet (which one guesses they may or may not be...).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Sorry its probably just me but i'm still a bit baffled :? Looking at the familiarisation paper it looks likeyou write directly onto the question paper for both forms of the clozes (page 2) sorry :oops: or like southbucks3 kindly stated there is a separate answer sheet because i know my Ds will defo panic with this and it'll slow him down immensely :(

Thanks Toadmum for the familiarisation paper will this be how it will actually be set out on the day?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Looks like the other forum members whose dc have experienced the QM exam are still on holiday :)

From dd2, who sat the QM exam 2 years ago, and dc quintus (who sat it last year), the answers were to be shaded or written in the question booklet (i.e. the same format as in the familiarisation sheet).

But do be cautious over CEM familiarisation sheet as they don't always stick to the same format in the exam. I mean, in the past, they've given a cloze type 3 on the familiarisation paper for that year but it didn't come up in the exam at all...and the maths q's (in all familiarisation sheets that I've received over the last 6 years), have always been deceptively simple.

A tutor friend mentioned that there was some confusion in the nvr section but that was for those who sat the CEM exam last year for B'ham not QM.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks DIYmum so writing/shading the answers actually on the question paper, that is so good to know, hopefully the mods soon will collate the recent Queen Marys 2013 structure up on the forum like they've done in the past so we get a bit more insight :) but what i'm also hearing is that we have to expect the unexpected :shock: which my Ds is not so good at :(
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

DIY mum you mentioned 'cloze type 3 ' what does this mean :?: i didn't realise there were cloze 1,2,3. Could you kindly let me know where i can find out about this ? :)
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

It's the same type as illustrated on Toadmum's link.

From an old post:

B. Cloze Type 1: missing letters in some of the words in a passage, usually 2-3 pages long.

Cloze Type 2: choose one word from out of 3/4 words in text.

Cloze Type 3: a combination of cloze with synonyms / antonyms.

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now