Change of Format- to tutor or not to tutor???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nimbus

Change of Format- to tutor or not to tutor???

Post by Nimbus »

I guess if the NVR is being scrapped, then it is only VR that not be taught in school. For those who have a DC who has already taken the exams, I wondered if you think it will be necessary to tutor the our DC's- I'm sure VR cant be that difficult- any advice??
DC17C

Re: Change of Format- to tutor or not to tutor???

Post by DC17C »

Up to this year the Gloucester test was 2 VR papers- there were plenty of children having tuition in VR - be it a paid tutor or parents DIYing. The 2014 test will be CEM so a bit more of an unknown quantity for everyone.
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

VR is the hardest part of the exam. There are tricks that help to save time, so I would definitely tutor.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

DC17C wrote:Up to this year the Gloucester test was 2 VR papers- there were plenty of children having tuition in VR - be it a paid tutor or parents DIYing. The 2014 test will be CEM so a bit more of an unknown quantity for everyone.
Sorry- what is CEM- I presumed it would be GL? :?:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Sorry the past Gloucester exam was GL assessment - VR questions. I'd agree that there are things that can be learned to speed up answering VR questions so some form of practice / tuition is essential.
The CEM Durham University test is a newer test being used by quite a few areas- Birmingham, Bucks that is supposed to be more tutor proof.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

DC17C wrote:Sorry the past Gloucester exam was GL assessment - VR questions. I'd agree that there are things that can be learned to speed up answering VR questions so some form of practice / tuition is essential.
The CEM Durham University test is a newer test being used by quite a few areas- Birmingham, Bucks that is supposed to be more tutor proof.
Thanks Mr DC147- but the AGGS/AGSB will remain GL?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

You need to check the admissions with the schools in question - just seems interesting to see an area talking of changing to just using a VR test when a lot of areas that have used just VR are now moving to a more of a mixed test.
fatsals

Post by fatsals »

They are GL papers, not the predictive CEM tests.