Synonyms & Antonyms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MerlinFromCamelot

Synonyms & Antonyms

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Hi All,

Slight panic here.

We are new to Cloze tests and I seem to be totally stuck as to how to go about Synonyms and Antonyms... I have the green Cloze test book 1 from elevenplusexams. DD has not seen this book yet. I assumed she was ok with the English part of the test as she seems to be doing rather well on the comprehension papers (Schofield & Sims) as recommended on this tread but I have no doubt in my mind that she will struggle big time with the close tests book 1.

I was hoping someone could point me in to the right direction as to where I could find suitable word banks.

Thank you very much.
patricia

Re: Synonyms & Antonyms

Post by patricia »

Hi MerlinFromCamelot

Panicking not allowed...

There are currently 3 types of cloze for the Bucks Test.

1. Word Bank cloze: Passage with a number of words missing. A word bank given above the passage (with more words than are missing)

2. Stacking cloze: Passage with words missing, where each missing word should be 4 or 5 words are stacked on top of each other in a vertical list. Child chooses correct word from that stack.

3. Find the missing word cloze: Passage with words missing, above each missing word is a bank of 5 words in a boxed horizontal line. Child chooses one word from the line.

Some books use a cloze where letters are missing from the word and the child fills in the gaps to produce the correct word eg C__NA__ word is CANAL but this does not lend itself to a multiple choice answer sheet so will probably not appear in the Bucks Test.

Copy passages form childrens books and newspaper (First Post) take out some words, substitute as above and you will have some good practice.

Words see my link here for words used in CEM tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=33888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follows a link to an old list of mine which is still suitable.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... -reasoning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of reading discussing words. Make up your own questions for synonyms and antonyms. Play scrabble - allow your child to use a dictionary.

Patricia
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Thank you Patricia, the links are very helpful.

DD gone back to school today, think reality that there are only 2 more school terms left before the test is sinking in and stressing me out. :cry:

After DD1 did her 11+ I promised myself that second time around it would be less stressful, sadly it hasn't as our test has changed completely... (from GLL to CEM) Trying hard not to show DD how stressed mummy really is!

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.
LeprechaunQueen

Post by LeprechaunQueen »

We found it helpful to skim read these passages, not even thinking about what the missing words may be at first, relaxing enough to let intuition work for you, paying only enough attention to work out what the passage was vaguely on about. Then go back to the start and allow your brain to suggest words that time through, not really stopping when stuck but just gradually combing through. It did work and by the end we didnt even need to resort to hypnosis... :wink:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

We found the synonyms and antonyms dictionary very helpful with ds.
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Hi MamaBear,

May I please know further details about "synonyms and antonyms dictionary" that you have mentioned? Is it a book or online resource? If it is a book, where do I get, publisher name, etc. If it is online, site details please.

Thanks.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Hi yr5 mom

the one I was talking about is the Oxford dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms (Oxford word press) but there are many to choose like the Merriam Webster one or there is a Scholastic version too.
DS found it helpful, check out your local library for a copy, so you can try before you buy.
year5mom

Post by year5mom »

Thank you for such a fast response, will try it out in the local library.
Y

Post by Y »

Or just google 'thesaurus' followed by the word you want to see synonyms and antonyms for.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Yes that works as well Y, we do that when ds is low energy!

Otherwise I think its beneficial for them to be quick with the dictionary.