Nlcs exam today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Iq7767

Nlcs exam today

Post by Iq7767 »

:? Nlcs exam today. DD thought the maths was long and slightly different slant to previous years.
The comprehension was doable in the time limit but who knows????
Humbug

Re: Nlcs exam today

Post by Humbug »

Presume this was the Consortium exam? My DD did it at another school and seems to have had the opposite impression - found the maths easier than expected (but yes maybe it does sound a bit different from the practice papers) - but said there were lots of 6 and 8 point questions in the comprehension which is quite daunting! I'm not sure how reliable her impression is to be honest. Now for the long, horrible wait!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Did the girls come away feeling that everyone was friendly and helpful? We did the exam last year and DD said that the time between the exams was fun (and no one threw up!- unlike HB and Habs). I'm happy to feed back to the school anything that you think would make it a less awful experience.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Good experience here.

Dd said both the Maths and English were straightforward. I thought the organisation was very good shootmenow. Drop off was very easy, they had people taking the girls straight in. At pick up I had a long wait in Canons Drive with loads of others, but it was all very calm and relaxed and I spotted dd easily. Thought the traffic staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

I imagine it must make it harder for the schools if the papers are more straightforward and lots of girls are getting high scores. How do they make those decisions?

We weren't at NLCS I'm afraid so can't comment on that, but it sounds very friendly!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Glad to hear it was all organised and friendly.
Those papers are quite deceptive. What may seem simple may not be. NLCS will be looking for those extra details and inference. Ditto maths. DD1 sat as an internal candidate and she was one of only a handful of the hundreds who sat to get full marks on one of the maths questions.
It's the interview that puts girls over the top. They are looking for girls they will want to teach and who think creatively.
Good luck All!!!!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

These comprehension papers have layers and layers of meaning and no ten year old is going to unpick all of it. Look at the Arlington Rise past paper. Much of the meaning in that paper goes completely over a ten year old's head. So I don't think there will be a problem with too many girls getting a really high score on the comprehension paper. Now creative writing is another matter altogether. There are some very good writers sitting these papers who are operating at way beyond KS2 level. It is a shame that they will never find out their mark for the writing. DG
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

Do you think the writing carries as much clout as the maths and comprehension? I've always had the feeling that creativity/writing flair is the thing they look at least (maybe just bitter though, as it's what my family does best!)
Last edited by Humbug on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iq7767

Post by Iq7767 »

Phew!!!! Thought my daughter was the only one who found the exam as a whole challenging. Thanks Daogroupie, although she completed the comprehension, she kept saying it was pressurising to try to decipher all the nuances.
Lets see, onto Habs next !
Mymble

Post by Mymble »

Another good experience here. DD was in a room of about 15 girls, about half of whom were from her school, so a much cosier experience than HBS. The Kitkats and juice at the break were a big plus for her! As for the actual papers, she thought they were similar in difficulty to the practice ones we'd done. She mentioned a 10 mark question on the comprehension which required a lot of evidence. I always find it difficult to gauge how well she's done after exams but at least she came out with a smile on her face.

Does anyone have any idea how many hundreds of DDs sat the exam today?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now