Benefits Street

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CuriousDuo

Benefits Street

Post by CuriousDuo »

What do you think of this show on channel 4 ? I personally think it is a very bad representation of some parts of Birmingham and the producers we're tricking the people in this show.
Snowdrops

Re: Benefits Street

Post by Snowdrops »

I think we don't really know the real truth of who tricked who, who said what/did what or when.

I have no doubts that some people really do live like this. Whether they're on benefits or not has nothing to do with it.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I think its all the teachers fault.
They clearly did not make their lessons interesting enough when these lovely people were at school (!!!!!!???!)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

It is not in any way a representation of Brum any more than Chelsea is representative of London, but there are parts of the city like that. I saw a repeat of it after some of the complaints were made and have to say that although I don't live anywhere like that, there was nothing all that shocking there. Benefit cheats getting caught? We know that sometimes happens. Unashamed swearing? I have heard people of all backgrounds do that, although the media savvy would think twice before going on TV like that. People receiving housing benefit, yet getting behind with rent and threatened with eviction? I am sure that happens. Alcoholics and shoplifters amongst living amongst some of the most deprived people? I don't think it is the norm among them but I am not surprised by that either.

Most of them don't come off very well (apart from Smoggy and 'White Dee', who has some redeeming features). I felt pity for a lot of them though. I am not really sure what the residents were expecting though.
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now