GCSE / level 3 statistics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

GCSE / level 3 statistics

Post by Minesatea »

I have two DC's at different schools. 1 is taking GCSE statistics, the other level 3 Award in statistical methods. Both are edexcel, both will be sat in year 11. Can someone explain the difference?
KB

Re: GCSE / level 3 statistics

Post by KB »

Have you tried edexcel web site - they usually have details?

In brief, neither is probably of much consequence :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

GCSE Statistics is a well established qualification but the other one is brand new.

https://www.edexcel.com/quals/maths-awa ... 202012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it is yet another response to the problem created by large numbers of students sitting GCSE Maths in Year 10 and then having to do some kind of Maths course in Year 11. The FSMQ and Admaths awards are Ok for very able children (and these used to be the only ones who were entered for early GCSE) but once you start having it as school policy to put all higher students in for the GCSE a year early you are faced with those who might not do well doing AS modules or the FSMQ but still want and need to do some Maths. It is clearly easier for schools to have a 'one size fits all' qualification so they use the same for all who want to do more Maths. I reckon Edexcel (which has Pearson behind it - ie a high profile money-making consultancy) saw a gap in the market. I agree with KB that neither is of much consequence in the wider scheme of things but is useful to keep children thinking mathematically for an extra year. Which of course if they sat the GCSE at the right time would not be an issue.

Minesatea - if your DC haven't already taken their Maths GCSE in Y10/early Y11, then of course this answer will be a load of irrelevant nonsense to you, sorry. :oops:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Amber, this precisely sums up what DD's school does! They all take maths in Y10, even those who are struggling :roll: Then in Y11, those who didn't do well re-take, while those who did start Y11 studying both further maths and statistics and a decision is made nearer the summer as to which (or both) of those they will sit.

This has worked reasonably well for DD who will want to do science A levels but not maths as it takes her maths a little further than GCSE. But it's still a rubbish policy imho. I agree with everything Amber says.

KB, I think that's unduly harsh – statistics is a well established GCSE and from what I have seen of it is at least as tough academically as maths, albeit that it concentrates on just one aspect.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I would have thought a good grounding in statistics would be really useful for anyone thinking of a career in anything scientific including medical related subjects.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree with everything Amber says
As is right and proper :D

DD did stats GCSE at the same time as maths - the top sets both did this. I agree some grounding in stats is good for those doing biology (and possibly economics), but it's something that can easily be picked up later, and uni courses where it is needed will cover it anyway. As said above, it's a good way of continuing maths. Not sure it served DD terribly well, she might have been better concentrating on one (they didn't get extra lesson time).
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

Was merely pointing out that even the GCSE isn't that significant so nothing to get worried about.
GCSE statistics has little relevance to further study of the subject so not a big deal if its not on offer.

I also reiterate previous concerns about students taking science A levels without Maths - do check that future options are not going to be curtailed.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DS1 is taking both GCSE maths and statistics at the end of year 11. His school does not early entry for anything except ICT. DD will be taking GCSE and the level 3 stats but I am not sure when. In previous years the girls have sat the maths in november and the stats in june but as the november entry is now resits only I guess this will change.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs school does twinned maths GCSEs. I think they called 'applications of maths' and 'processes of maths'.
Taken together in year 11.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's the pilot twin Maths GCSE - several boards offer it. It has the advantage that the higher result counts in the school data!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now