Tutors in Cheltenham/Gloucester/Stroud Area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
applecrumble17

Tutors in Cheltenham/Gloucester/Stroud Area

Post by applecrumble17 »

Hi, new to this forum.

Could anyone please recommend good tutors in the Cheltenham/Gloucester/Stroud area?
I live in Gloucester but am happy to travel a small distance.

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
Amber

Re: Tutors in Cheltenham/Gloucester/Stroud Area

Post by Amber »

If this is for 11 plus prep, please be aware that the format of the test is changing and is designed to be as tutor-proof as possible. Make sure that anyone who claims to be able to tutor for the test has taken the changes into account. :D
applecrumble17

Post by applecrumble17 »

Sadly, nothing is tutor proof. :D Thank you for the tip.
Would still be grateful for any tutor references.
stressedmother

Post by stressedmother »

Hi,

Can someone please recommend a tutor, for our child who will be sitting the test this year.

Many Thanks

Stressedmother
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Hi I think the reason this forum is so quiet now is that the new format exam is pretty tutor-proof.

In case you haven't, you may like to have a look under the Buckinghamshire threads to see examples of the paper they (including my DS) will be taking this year.

We can't see the point in tutoring him as the main thing he/they will need is a good grasp of English and as such, we've just upped reading with him and are practising general maths. They seem to need such a wide range of knowledge that I can't see how a tutor will be able to cover it all now in such a short period of time. We figure we just have to trust him to do what he can and put into practice what he has learnt at school over the years, which is what the grammar exam was originally designed for I guess. Beyond that, I don't think there is much else we can do. There are some useful free downloads online and on this forum.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I think the Birmingham pages may also be of use too- I think they have been using CEM for longer and there still seem to be plenty of tuition going on in that area. It will be interesting to see how the test goes and if it makes any difference. Just had the second school report for DS - an 11+ failure last year who made it in on appeal- he seems to be doing very well so far especially in maths and science and all his teachers seem happy with his progress so far.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That's fab DC, well done him - shows he's in the right place after all. I definitely think the test is trickier and may not work to DS's advantage. He absolutely loves and flies straight through VR and I think would have done really well in the old test (and of course there is still VR in the new test anyway). Having said that, I still think it's the right way for the tests to go though, even if doesn't pass as a result of the changes.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you Stressed -moi - I guess it is going to be an interesting year - hope it works out for you and " little stressed!"
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have a look at Warwickshire as well, as we have just completed our third sitting of CEM.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is nothing new in CEM, it is just a combination that is arranged slightly differently and is certainly not tutor proof, look at all the classes this forum is offering and Susan Daugherty. i don't think just reading is going to give you a good grasp of English, you need to be applying it yourself on a daily basis. I knew students who did CEM at HBS and Latymer last year, none of them failed to pass but they tell me they know a lot who did not. HBS just uses CEM to get down the numbers and then their own grown English and Maths papers are the real test. Having said that it is a format you need to get used to so buy the books from the forum shop on next day delivery. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now