Further maths GCSE

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mummy12

Further maths GCSE

Post by Mummy12 »

Hi, I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge of how further maths is perceived by University's? Do they look at the candidate as somone who has put in extra effort is logical or hard working? Does obtaining a high grade work in their favour? Or is it just another extra gcse? Thanks
Amber

Re: Further maths GCSE

Post by Amber »

Hi, I see you have posted this in the sixth form section - is your DC thinking of doing it in sixth form alongside AS levels?

My opinion is that a university will not care one way or the other about Further Maths at GCSE level. I think as long as there is a good range of subjects at high grade at GCSE, it doesn't matter too much what they are. Further Maths A level is a different story though.
Mummy12

Post by Mummy12 »

Thanks Amber for your reply, I didn't post this question in the GCSE section as my point was geared more towards the university's perception of the subject. I know that it is quite a challenging gcse to take so thought that some knowledge of it's benefits would be helpful in deciding whether or not to take it, apart from the obvious reasons.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's too new for universities to really be aware of it. I think GCSE maths A* is more important.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

DD (Y11) is currently doing further maths GCSE, so if you want it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, she is finding the actual maths harder than GCSE (for which she got an A through hard work and an excellent teacher). However the grade boundaries seem quite generous – she came out of her mock thinking she had failed and got a A.

All that said, I agree with Guest55 – I'd rather she'd just have taken GCSE at the normal time if it had meant she would have got an A*.
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

My DS in Y11 is also taking further maths GCSE after getting an A in his maths IGCSE last summer (he could re-sit for an A* but can't be bothered...). He is finding it very hard and it is (we are told) designed to be a transition from GCSE to A level. I would think it is difficult to study from Y10 unless a complete maths genius!

Sorry, I have no knowledge of the university perspective but imho it would probably be good if maths at university was the aim. Otherwise, I would question whether it would be worth the extra time/stress and possible distraction from the other GCSEs. Good luck with your decision.
Mummy12

Post by Mummy12 »

Thank you Dearcoty for your perspective, it was very helpful. I do agree, it is a difficult subject and being a sort of transition to A level is quite interesting.
I think we will have to make a decision now. Thank you to all who replied.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

A bit late into the fray, but my understanding is that it is also useful for those looking to follow a physics-based course. Maths is then the usual accompaniment to Physics at A level, and the Further Maths gives a good start. My Y11 DS is doing it alongside his iGCSE maths, and will then do Maths, Physics and Chemistry Higher (at IB) with a view to Astrophysics at Uni (so he tells me...).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now