CLSG Interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rimsky

CLSG Interview

Post by Rimsky »

Unfortunately our daughter did not get an interview at CLSG. I wonder if anyone can tell me if the rejection letter they send out is standard. i.e. does the ' did not quite reach' the desired standard and asking whether we would like her to be considered in their waiting list for occasional places mean that she just missed out?? they used to give individual feedback and now they do not. We are only wondering as it is a gage to see how she got for the other schools. Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: CLSG Interview

Post by Daogroupie »

City is one of the top schools in their Group. Hopefully you applied for some backup schools in the group and will be hearing shortly from them
Rimsky

Post by Rimsky »

Thank you for your response. We do of course have other schools however CLSG seem to have changed their process somewhat. A friend last year whose daughter was not successful got really helpful feedback. Also the email simply said that she had not reached the required standard.

I have been very thrown by them asking if I would like her name to go on the list for occasional places?? Why would they do that when they already have 300 to interview.

I am clearly driving myself mad but if anyone else without an interview is around I would really appreciate a response. Thank again
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hello Rimsky - sorry for your news from CLGS

I would read occasional places as places arising further down her schooling. For example in year 8 onwards.

CLGS is very tough to get into, top tier within that consortium.

Good luck to you and DD for your other applications.
Sleepyghead
taffy123

Post by taffy123 »

Rimsky,
Sadly our daughter also did not get invited back for interview. Sounds like we had the same letter as you. My daughter was the only one from her school to sit it and has been doing very well in her class, getting some outstanding results, but obviously not outstanding enough!

Anyway hats off to those who made the cut as it sounds like a very tough year to get a place. Well done to all who sat it.
vas

Post by vas »

taffy123 wrote:My daughter was the only one from her school to sit it and has been doing very well in her class, getting some outstanding results, but obviously not outstanding enough!
Private school selection is never very transparent and I certainly don't think it's in the order of performance in the exam that results in an interview. I certainly know girls who have been offered places in top indies who certainly weren't as bright as others who didn't get an interview. I am sure your daughter will perform well in the future and this exam is barely a reflection on her ability.

Although CLSG etc may not openly say this, but preference is certainly given to siblings and proximity to school and other factors where the school is confident of acceptance of the place offered.
Essentially if 300 are interviewed, it's not necessarily the top 300.
staar

Post by staar »

Yes I am not sure how they pick their interviewees as DD got an interview for CLSG and didn't get one for NLCS.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

corrected ...they are indeed both the same consortium group - can only think that they have different cut off marks?
Last edited by SleepyHead on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Unfortunately doing very well in her class is not a accurate indicator of how well she will do competing against hundreds of other girls in a thirty mile radius around London plus in London as well. Did you do anything like the Sutton mocks to give you an idea where she was in her year group outside those who just happen to be at her school. We had a friend in a 15 intake primary who was gifted and talented in their year but would have been in the bottom set in our 60 intake primary. Do you have a SATS level for her? There are many students who started working for the state exams before the summer and worked through the summer , sat the states, carried on over Christmas doing and redoing all the Consortium past papers until the format was a walk in the park for them.

I disagree with you Vas because it was the order of performance in the exam that resulted in the interviews at CIty. Girls who have got offers in top indies over those who appeared to be "brighter" have simply prepared better because they did not assume that they would get a place because they were bright. I don't believe in the concept of bright, it is all about being ready for the exam. Each year more girls prepare properly and so take the places of others who do not. Those girls who did nothing over Christmas took the risk of being outranked by those who worked every day. City do not give preference to siblings or proximity for interview, it is all about your ranking in the exam. They do however keep places for their prep girls as does every other school in the North London Consortium plus Habs Hopefully you will hear soon from some of your other choices. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are the same consortium group. City select on performance on exam. It seems that NLCS like to consider other factors such if you are from a prep school. Not only do the preps get to sit together at the exam but they also get the earlier interview dates. It seems they check out all the preps first so they know how many places they have left to offer to the states who come for interview in the second week. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now