Confusing Verbal Reasoning Question

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
apprentice

Confusing Verbal Reasoning Question

Post by apprentice »

Hi,

I am new to verbal reasoning, and am still trying to figure out the fundamentals of it. If you guys could help me, I'd be grateful!

Statement 1: Researchers believe brushing teeth regularly may prevent tooth decay.
Statement 2: Researchers believe brushing teeth regularly prevents tooth decay.

According to Statement 1, is Statement 2 (a)true, (b) false or (c) cannot say?

Many thanks!
kenyancowgirl

Re: Confusing Verbal Reasoning Question

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would say that according to Statement 1, Statement 2 is false - statement 1 says that it may prevent tooth decay - therefore, it may not. Statement 2 is categorical that it DOES prevent tooth decay. Therefore, according to statement 1, statement 2 is false. At least that is what I would say!!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Welcome. :)

Looks like a psychometric test type question aimed at adults, I only know because I made my child do a few when our local school changed their exams.

It might help if you said which school or area you are looking at.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I've seen this true, false questions on GL papers. Or is it that these are particularly hard examples?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Similar things to this crop up in the CEM tests as they pay close attention to semantics.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Thank you everyone for help!

Actually, I made up this question based on a longer version of a similar question I randomly found on the internet. My child is still in Key Stage 1 but I wanted to familiarize with verbal reasoning questions myself before my child starts preparing for 11+. I don't know whether is is a question type that can be seen in the actual 11+ but I'm just trying to condition myself to the basics of general verbal reasoning problems.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

apprentice wrote:Thank you everyone for help!

Actually, I made up this question based on a longer version of a similar question I randomly found on the internet. My child is still in Key Stage 1 but I wanted to familiarize with verbal reasoning questions myself before my child starts preparing for 11+. I don't know whether is is a question type that can be seen in the actual 11+ but I'm just trying to condition myself to the basics of general verbal reasoning problems.
I'd say based on statement 1, statement 2 must be 'cannot say'. It may well turn out to be true (1960, scientists believe that smoking causes chest problems, but then you couldn't say 'smoking causes chest problems', but it did turn out to be true, so not false,we just didn't have enough info)
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Its a rather ambiguous question I think, and the fact that apprentice "made it up" based on something "similar" could mean its not something you would ever see in this exact form.

Looking it as it is though, it is worth noting that both statements refer to what "Researchers believe" rather than a straight fact.

Also it is not clear what the word "researchers" means exactly. Do both statements refer to the same researchers? If so, and statement 1 is taken as true, then statement 2 must be false since the same researchers cannot believe 2 contradictory things (i.e. that it does prevent tooth decay and it may prevent tooth decay).

But "researchers" is a vague, general, plural term so the researchers referred to in statement 1 may be different people form the researchers referred to in statement 2. (they may be researchers from a different lab for example).

If this is the case then we cannot say whether statement 2 is true or false since the beliefs of some researchers are independant of the beliefs of others.

Not a question I'd expect to see on 11plus though in this form.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Thank you for your input, Yamin and Proud_Dad!

Proud_Dad, like I previously said, my intention with this question is not to try to crack 11+ problems but to understand the fundamentals of verbal reasoning in general. So, I am not suggesting in any way that you will come across a question like this in any particular test.

And yes, I assumed the same people when I used the word 'researchers' in both statements. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

apprentice wrote:Thank you for your input, Yamin and Proud_Dad!

Proud_Dad, like I previously said, my intention with this question is not to try to crack 11+ problems but to understand the fundamentals of verbal reasoning in general. So, I am not suggesting in any way that you will come across a question like this in any particular test.

And yes, I assumed the same people when I used the word 'researchers' in both statements. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
That's OK, these logical reasoning questions can get quite tricky.

If you had 2 statements like:

1. Politicians believe taxes should be raised.
2. Politicians believe taxes should be lowered.

Then both could be true.

But if you had:

1. David Cameron believes taxes should be raised.
2. David Cameron believes taxes should be lowered.

Then 2 must be false if 1 is true. (lets ignore the fact that there might be more than one person called David Cameron!)