Rick Riordan books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
berks_mum

Rick Riordan books

Post by berks_mum »

Last week DD brought a book from the library called 'The throne of fire' by an author called Rick Riordan and she was so impressed by it (never saw her so impressed with any of the books she read earlier). She is asking me to get more books front his author. The particular names she told me were - 'The Red Pyramind' and a series called 'Percy jackson'. DD is 9.5 yrs old.
Are they suitable for her age/reading ability ?
I never read fiction in my life and in general I am a poor reader. I hardly had any children's books,magazines,newspapers in my house when I grew up.
SleepyHead

Re: Rick Riordan books

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi berks_mum
DD also 9.5 years old and has just started Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.
She was recommended this series by a family friend of ours (also the same age) and really loves this book.

The following books within the Percy Jackson series are:
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
" and the Titan's Curse
" and the Battle of the Labyrinth
" and the Last Olympian
" : the Demigod Files

The Throne of Fire is part of the "Kane Chronicle Series" which include:
The Red Pyramid
The Throne of Fire
The Serpent's Shadow

I've flicked through the Lightning Thief and I think it's appropriate and actually quite a challenging read too.

Sleepyhead
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Percy Jackson books are brilliant imo, very exciting and packed with mythology, and they have made two Percy Jackson films too.
They are just right for year 5/6 children, have a look in charity shops as they were so popular last year, there are normally plenty to be found second hand.
You should start at number 1 though, and that is "lightening thief".
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Miine loved Percy Jackson too. And 9.5 would be the perfect sort of age. Personally I don't think they are great literature ( :lol: ) but they are exciting and keep them enthralled. I have read most of them too, and did enjoy them! It also lead mine on to reading some other Greek mythology stories which they enjoyed (and has to be good for their general knowledge).
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

scary mum wrote:! It also lead mine on to reading some other Greek mythology stories which they enjoyed (and has to be good for their general knowledge).
And ours :lol: I proudly answered a quiz question last year based entirely on my new knowledge gleaned on mythology by reading pj with my son! I had forgotten it all previously, and some was more obscure and new to me.
We used kindle books on the second one, and if you highlight a character it gives you a little encyclopedic reference...feels like cheating but it is very easy. :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

It's lovely when a child gets hooked by a book series.

Dc1 got given a £5 Wh smiths voucher by grandparents for taking the 11+ ( for effort, not result), and bought a two Robert Muchamore books which were on offer. He has since read most of his books.

We got a free James Patterson Middle School book with a magazine. Dc2 read it and loved it and so I've since bought the the other books in the series. It was very handy in his 11+ appeal also. I was asked whether he liked reading, and he'd literally asked for the 3rd book a couple of days before, when he saw it was due out. When I mentioned this request, I noticed one of the appeal panellists looked interested.( we won the appeal!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 (year 6) has read all the Rick Riordan books, I think, and is obviously impressed with the writing of James Patterson because yesterday he shelled out some of his pocket money on one of his adult thrillers in a charity shop - he is also mad keen on the tv series 'Castle', with which the author is associated (and which with a few exceptions is pretty benign in the graphic violence stakes). I have had a quick flick through to check for total unsuitabiIity and he is quite sensible about things he knows to be or just feels are not for him. You may wish to stick with the Rick Riordans for now, though!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

One of my boys adores all these books. He has been reading them since 9 yrs, as have all his friends, I think they are pretty ok, realms of fantasy, not really my thing, but there is. rich seam of this kind of book to mine.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I love James Patterson books. They do vary a lot in their content. I've just read Trial set in America in the Deep South and focuses around the investigation of lynchings amongst the black community. It's quite graphic and hard hitting and there a lot of words considered non- pc in the British language. I wouldn't want a year 6 to read that book, or my year 9 dc.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

DS1 loves the Percy Jackson book sand I also got hooked on the first one. He would have been about 9.5 when he first discovered them. He has always loved Greek mythology and his copy of Myths and Legends always returns to his bedside table, no matter how often I replace it on the bookshelf! He also likes to play a computer game called Age of Mythology so he is familiar with the mythological vocab.

I asked DS1 to define 'minor' and 'major' (these words were discussed on another thread) and he gave the correct definitions and gave the Greek gods as examples! Reading does expand their vocab!

DS1 has seen the first film, PJ and the Lightening Thief. He thoroughly enjoyed it but I was disappointed that the film bore so little resemblance to the book.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now