GL Multiple Choice paper 5, question 4

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

GL Multiple Choice paper 5, question 4

Post by fatbananas »

I've tried searching for this question but can't find it.

I've just started looking through the GL papers and came across this question last night which made me think :shock: :?

"Hannah made some biscuits for a party.

She put them all out on plates.

Each plate has the same number of biscuits.

How many biscuits could Hannah have made?"

To me it looks like there's info missing; or is it some kind of algebraic question? Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
nyr

Re: GL Multiple Choice paper 5, question 4

Post by nyr »

I guess the answer hinges on whether "plates" can be 1 or not. If there must be more than 1 plate, which I assume is the case, then the answer must be a non-prime number. I think that's all we can deduce.

nyr
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I would think that is a mistake, not thatmy algebra is very good! But even if there is some algebraic work to be done on the number of plates, you can't possibly know biscuits on each plate without knowing how many biscuits you have to share out!

I'm hungry now 8)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry fb, I do not understand your post. Is this paper 5 question 4 or not? And if it is, where has it gone? Have you cut up all your papers like I did?

I would guess that only one of the multiple choice answers could be correct?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

looks like some info is missing IMO. Unfortunately I don't have that paper (only standard pack) so can't double check
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

I remember this coming up before but can't find the post. From what I remember you have to look at the answers and only one can be possible. Have you got the possible answers?
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

Sorry don't know how to post a link to an old post but I have looked and apparently there are five options on the answer sheet 13, 17, 19, 21 and 23. So the only answer that is divisible by something else is 21.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

You beat me to it, Hopefulmum2! I have this paper and the answer sheet and it is exactly as you say.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

the clue is on the multiple answer sheet - all the choices are prime numbers except 21 and because it says 'plates' it has to be more than 1 plate.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

leanmeamum wrote:the clue is on the multiple answer sheet - all the choices are prime numbers except 21 and because it says 'plates' it has to be more than 1 plate.
I'm assuming that 21 is the answer they are looking for but strictly speaking the question does not say that there is more than one biscuit on each plate. Just that each plate has the same number.

So in theory there could be just one biscuit on each plate in which case the answer could be any number you like, including primes.

Badly worded question IMO.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now