How important is a Language at GCSE?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsP

How important is a Language at GCSE?

Post by MrsP »

My DD is in the process of deciding her GCSE options. Almost there, but I am receiving conflicting advice as to whether a GCSE in a MFL is necessary to gain an offer from a Russell Group university.

DS really struggles with both French & Spanish and she would like to drop both so that she can chose either Product Design or Graphics. (Her other GCSE topics will be Maths, 2 x English, triple science, History, Geography, RE, Economics and 'IT')

Many thanks,

Jane
Guest55

Re: How important is a Language at GCSE?

Post by Guest55 »

It's not needed - check a few universities and you will see - especially if Science or other applied degrees are being targeted.

I
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think that there were moves a year or two ago from some universities (Oxford?) to show preference for candidates who did have an MFL at GCSE, though I don't have chapter and verse. As a linguist myself I have a massive bias and would always tell a DC to try and study a language, but I know that isn't a widely held view and it is also unsustainable. By comparison with the rest of the world we are already embarrassingly bad at foreign languages and most children the world over have some kind of compulsory study in at least one. But heck, I suppose if a child hates languages and has no aptitude for them there is no mileage in our current system of opting out of stuff when we are 14 for saying it should be forced on them.

Where is that wry-smile/shrug emoticon?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think it would be a big mistake not to do a language at GCSE. I am surprised your school allows it, at our school they expect you to do two. Product Design or Graphics would be a heavy workload to add to your bunch of academic subjects, I would stick with a MFL, far less work. DG
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

UCL have a MFL requirement, but do not insist on a gcse. All students without a gcse grade C in an MFL have to take a language module as part of their course or at a summer school.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

MrsP wrote:My DD is in the process of deciding her GCSE options. Almost there, but I am receiving conflicting advice as to whether a GCSE in a MFL is necessary to gain an offer from a Russell Group university.
DS1 also has announced he must take a mfl for gcse if he wants to go to a top uni.

Two possibilities for this rumour, one the school wishing to boost its ebac score :roll: or two `Chinese whispers` and the need for a gcse mfl to study English at uni.

Against my better judgement he wishes continue with French, I am quietly pleased for him. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I remember being told you 'had' to have Latin O level to go to University ... these rumours are unhelpful to students and pretty immoral.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

stevew61 wrote:
MrsP wrote:My DD is in the process of deciding her GCSE options. Almost there, but I am receiving conflicting advice as to whether a GCSE in a MFL is necessary to gain an offer from a Russell Group university.
DS1 also has announced he must take a mfl for gcse if he wants to go to a top uni.

Two possibilities for this rumour, one the school wishing to boost its ebac score :roll: or two `Chinese whispers` and the need for a gcse mfl to study English at uni.

Against my better judgement he wishes continue with French, I am quietly pleased for him. :)
Someone I know well is studying English at uni & doesn't have a mfl GCSE.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

From the Russell Group's own website FAQs:

Do I need to have passed the English Baccalaureate to get into a Russell Group university?

The English Baccalaureate includes academic subjects highly valued by the Russell Group but it is not required for entry to any Russell Group university. With the exception of English and Maths, and in a few cases a Modern Foreign Language, most universities have no universal entry requirements in terms of specific GCSE subjects. Subject choice is ultimately much more important at the post-16 or A-level stage.

Is it true that a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE or equivalent is required for entry to Russell Group universities?

Our institutions very much value language skills but there is no universal entry requirement that students must have studied a Modern Foreign Language at GCSE or equivalent. However, there may be course-specific requirements, so we strongly encourage students to check universities’ websites for details of these.
moved

Post by moved »

Not for university, but a minimum of grade C at an MFL is a requirement for our local grammars at sixth form. Check that you aren't closing any doors at 16 too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now