berks_mum

Kendrick back up options

Post by berks_mum »

Don't know if this is already discussed, so far I have found following -

A) Comprehensives -
1) Maiden Erleigh (Earley)
2) Holt (Wokingham)
3) Ranelegh (bracknell) - religion criteria
4) St. Crispins in Wokingham is picking up ?
5) Reading Girls (bilateral)
6) Bulmershe

B) Indies -
1) LVS (although didn't read good reviews about it on mums net)
2) Abbey School, Reading

Feel free to add more

How do Holt and Maiden Erlegh compare ?
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick back up options

Post by Tinkers »

First thing I'd say is where do you live?
Holt and ME are very oversubscribed and you may not get a place even if you live in catchment. (ME offered places upto about a mile radius last year).
Both are good schools.
I know St Crispins didn't award any places to anyone outside catchment apart from some siblings this time around. Don't know much about the school.

Reading Girls and Bulmershe have both had past issues but both are rated Good by Ofsted. Bulmershe were inspected last term. They have improved a lot, but are still seen as the poor relation to ME. It has a new head teacher and this is making a big impact. They are currently undersubscribed but with recent improvements and pressure on places I don't know whether that will last for long.

Trying to remember when you will be applying for but ME are hoping to set up a free school in East Reading September 2015 as are East Reading Academy. ME have had their approval through but ERA are waiting to hear if they go through to the next stage.

In addition in Wokingham you have Waingels, Piggot and Emmbrook. All reasonably good schools as well. In fact all the Wokingham schools are pretty good. Catchment is key though. Piggot is a CE school so faith is one of the admissions criteria.
I believe Crispins, Forest (boys), Holt and Emmbrook have one big shared catchment, but distance from the individual school (or a point between Forest and holt for those two) is the determining factor.

Abbey is pretty much on a par with Kendrick results wise, and is also selective. However they do look at school reports and interview so a bad exam day isn't the be all and end all. There's also St Joseph's college in the East Reading area along with Leighton park. st joes is selective but not so much as Abbey, but claim to have good added value. LP is not selective as such.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you for your details post Tinkers !

My current house is in the shared catchment area for 'Holt, Emmbrook, Crispins and forrest' - according to WBC post code search. Holt being the nearest one for distance. DD may somehow prefer going to a mixed school rather than girls only (but that varies). For some reason, she is a very girly girl, not sporty at all and a bit soft (too kind) hearted. Don't know if girls only school will be the best choice for her. I have no idea at the moment. We are in a flexible position to move.

Forgot to add, we are looking for September 2015 entry.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For September 2013 entry, Holt offered places up to 3.639 miles away, if that helps.
I think that radius will only get smaller.

Unless you and /or DD are really against a girls school, or you are significantly further out than 3.6 miles I'd stay where you are. That's just my opinion though.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Tinkers !

Getting in the half mile catchment of both Holt and Maiden Erlegh shouldn't be an issue for us (virtue our housing situation).

I was interested to find out which one would be a better choice for academics, pastoral care, extracurricular activities and any other things that are important.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I believe Holt pips ME academically, but there's not a lot in it.

I don't know anyone with girls at Holt, but do know some at ME. For some it's a great school, others not so much. I think it suits some kids better than others.
A friend of mine has a DS at ME and it is great for him, however she knew it wouldn't suit DD and she is at Kendrick with my DD.

I've heard some say the pastoral care at ME isn't so great, but others think it is fine.

Best bet is to go and look at both. Both schools are good, it's more a case of which suits best.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Tinkers !
I guess both schools are similar so it shouldn't be a problem wherever she goes. As you say we will visit both schools and then decide which one suits her.
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

A friend's kids are at Ranelagh and have really enjoyed it (they're yr8). But it was difficult to get into, strange catchment area and of course the religion aspect. Fortunately she is a regular church goer so was fairly confident for her kids.

Have you been on the round of open days yet? Which did you like? ME is biiiiggg, 278 intake for Sep 2014 but they don't seem to have much grounds (I thought from going round their open evening last autumn). Bulmershe has fewer students (240 intake for Sep 2014) and much more space I felt, plus I met the new HT and she made a good impression. OTH I was comprehensively ignored by the ME head... :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now