marking thousandths on a number line

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

marking thousandths on a number line

Post by fatbananas »

DS came home with marking decimal numbers on a number line homework last Friday.

The first few were easy but then he had to say what various markings, labelled A to F, on the line were (ie what decimal number they represented. There were 20 places between 0.99 and 1.01. He just couldn't see that the numbers went into the thousandths and that the increments were 0.005 (actually, it took me a while to realise what was going on :oops: ). I think he's got it now, but I wondered if this was standard year 5 work (he's top set, middle of)?

I was also wondering if marking/ identifying thousandths on a mainly unmarked number line was likely to come up in a GS exam?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
berks_mum

Re: marking thousandths on a number line

Post by berks_mum »

FB, it is possible. DD was also being prepared for fraction and decimal number lines. I don't know what set DD is in, never asked as I was told the sets are quite fluid. DD thinks she is in the middle set of the higher group of 5(out of 10) sets.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

berks_mum wrote:FB, it is possible. DD was also being prepared for fraction and decimal number lines. I don't know what set DD is in, never asked as I was told the sets are quite fluid. DD thinks she is in the middle set of the higher group of 5(out of 10) sets.

Thanks Berks Mum. I haven't seen any of these sorts of thing on the GL papers (though may have missed because I'm a bit skew eyed through looking through all of them in one go last night!). What provider does Berkshire use? Kent's test format is changing and I'm trying to prepare for any eventuality!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

fb,

Both Reading and Slough schools will use CEM from this year. I think dd probably did this in her tuition practice though (if i remember correct). But I was bit surprised at the maths homework coming these days especially when I saw the finding nth term in a sequence. DD is in a very ordinary primary and they do not even mention 11+ in her school. And I don't think DD is very high achiever (at least until now). She is quick at learning new things but definitely not one of those kids who have achieved level 5a in year 4.