School bus travel journeys

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
oneworriedmum

School bus travel journeys

Post by oneworriedmum »

Would any of you kind souls out there tell me whether you think that a 40 minute bus ride to school is too long for a Year 7? That is how long it would take our daughter to get to our favoured school. It is only 4 1/2 miles away, but I think it must be the traffic.

Post by Guest »

No, that is quite a quick time. It takes my daughters 35-40 mins to get to their school by foot and bus, but then if we drop them off it only takes 6 mins. We think they are fortunate that they get to school so quickly compared with their friends.
Anything over an hour would have me concerned.
oneworriedmum

Post by oneworriedmum »

Thanks so much. That really really helps.
MT

Post by MT »

I would say anything up to 1 hour is fine.
solimum

bus travel

Post by solimum »

I agree many children seem to have bus journeys of an hour or more and don't seem to complain too much - especially if they're with friends, don't have to change buses or hang around at freezing bus stops for ages.... IN some areas it seems to be the norm. But bear in mind what a long day it can lead to, especially with all that lovely homework to get on with - other activities can suffer. Plus all the non-standard journeys for parents evenings, concerts, sports etc. The school has to be a lot better than the closer alternatives IMHO.
Incidentally my OH had an hour-long journey to grammar school which he loathed (his parents moved and were wrongly told he'd be able to travel to a school in a neighbouring county: instead he had a tedious journey on which the bus driver once abandoned them in the snow miles from home.) This is one reason our three attended the local comp 11-16!
oneworriedmum

Post by oneworriedmum »

I really do think the far away school is the best for my daughter. (Not "the best" in any other sense.) We are planning to move closer, and so any horrors she has with the journey won't last forever. We may even manage to move before she starts school.

Of course the things you mention are precisely the argument against, however, I think it will be fine. (40 minutes, virtually door to door. Dedicated school bus.)

Post by Guest »

Hi oneworriedmum

I'd just like to add that if the bus is a dedicated school bus, you have much less to worry about - all the other passengers will be school children, probably becoming good friends. The children may 'support' each other. There will be more dicipline as its a school bus, and in my opinion far safer to travel in for your yr7 daughter. If there are issues, then there is an easier point of contact rather than for public transport. Also door to door and no changes involved in 40 mins is pretty good, so I wouldn't worry.

My son is currently sitting his 11+s and I am terrified of looking into the school journeys too!

good luck to your daughter!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now