Univ admission 2014

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
caring star

Univ admission 2014

Post by caring star »

Hi
so the unviversity offers are out (I believe) how many of DS/DD manage to get in to top universities esp for medicine. Any idea?
If any please the forum members suggest some advice/ tips for GCSE/A/AS levels kids in achieving them .Many thanks
:D
hermanmunster

Re: Univ admission 2014

Post by hermanmunster »

I think Uni offers will still keep coming out until the end of March - some Unis are veeeery slow :roll:

Have you had a look at the student room forum? often have whole threads about people applying for specific subjects / unis and there experiences re subjects and interviews
SteveDH

Re: Univ admission 2014

Post by SteveDH »

My DD just got her last offer today, and that's after visiting for a post application open day and a 'one to one chat' (she had to option of talking to them on skpe or something too). The chat wasn't called an interview so not sure if it made any difference to anything.
However she's not doing medicine and most of her friends who are still have a long time to wait for all their offers, some don't have interviews until March. Medicine takes a lot longer then other subjects.

She has though been given a Cambridge offer, despite totally messing up her interviews, and the one bit of advice I can offer, is if you've been invited to a subject interview, make sure you revise all your AS and as much A level stuff as possible even if you can't see how it directly relates to the subject your applying for.

And just because they say they provide a written test as they think candidates can show their understanding better that way, don't assume they are not also going to give you a difficult verbal drilling.. and not necessary limited to the stuff you said you'd studied, for some reason her Physics syllabus doesn't include big G, knowledge of which was required to answer one of her interview questions, and after she struggled with it for a while, they were very surprised when they prompted her with, it might help to use bug G, and she replied you mean 9.81... no big G.. what's that never heard of it...you mean you haven't done bug G..no... look of disbelief (and that was in the better of the 2 interviews).