Different computing gcse's/igcse's

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

franticmum

Different computing gcse's/igcse's

Post by franticmum »

We are just revisiting all possible leftovers in order to decide on her reserve subjects for her options.

My daughter's school offer Computing Science (CIE IGCSE) and ICT (CIE IGCSE).

I recall last year a discussion saying that ICT Gcse was not advisable as it was not highly thought of and was wondering if this is the case with the IGcse too?

Plus, although I have read the gumpf on both subjects in the booklet, can anyone explain in idiot language the practicalities of both? For instance, computer science talks about programming which I vaguely understand but what will that actually allow them to do in the real world?

Thanks
SteveDH

Re: Different computing gcse's/igcse's

Post by SteveDH »

I can't answer the 1st half of your question, but regarding programming, what sort of carrear would your daughter like.
In the real world, almost everything you use has a program in it written by someone, your car, your washing machine, your tv... and of course phones, tablets and computers.
My DD want to do engineering and all the courses she's interested in have some programming in them, although she herself doesn't particularly like programming.

It can also be argued that learning to program van help your view real world problems in a different way, but I'm not sure how valuable an employer would regard that, however I think they may view being able to program as being a greater achievement then being able to create a power point presentation, or maybe they might not...

Steve
KB

Post by KB »

If you are looking at it as the final option and all the others are strong subjects then I suspect it won't make much odds.
Computing can always be taken up later if it is needed - I assume since this is a final option it isn't currently seen as a career path.

If DC is mathematically minded/ is strong on logic then the programming might suit but otherwise the ICT option will probably be easier.
Programming taught at GCSE level wont in itself get them very far but it will teach the concept as a basis for further progression.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much either way. A pin maybe :wink:
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Thank you both of you for your replies. My daughter has no intention of following a computer career path. She really wants to be a vet.

She has chosen her main options and we are now getting down to the 'reserve' in case she can't have the main ones. By process of elimination of what she really doesn't want to do, we are left we just 3 or 4 choices, two of them being as above.

This is why I was keen to see if she did one of these, would they actually help her in either her career (doubt it!) or for life in general. We've got parents' evening next week so we may have to glean more info from the teacher. The 'hard sell' is all very good on these subjects but a bit vague and they don't put it into real terms. That's where I'm getting stuck as I want it in idiot language what will you actually do with it?
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

if you know the exam board etc you may be able to download a syllabus, or the school may be able to tell you the specific contents of the course.
Go with whatever daughter thinks will be most interesting and is most likely to get the best marks in.

by the time she's applying to unit, it will likely be just another statistic on the application form and the subject probably wont matter.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Ds did Cambridge igcse ICT. It is in two parts. The practical exams are testing their ability to use standard office software: spreadsheets, word processors, powerpoint and basic website construction. The theory was around computer hardware and software, best printers for different jobs etc.

Computing is more about learning to programme.

Neither count as sort after gcse's, but some of the skills learnt in the ICT have come in handy in the controlled assessments of other subjects such as statistics and geography, which needed alot of data analysis.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Ds1 wants to be a vet. He does all the usual plus geography, 2 languages, computer programming and statistics. When we went to careers evening and talked to different unis he was told these were good choices. Especially stats!
He was pleased.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

My DS1 would recommend Computing. He found it by far the easiest GCSE in terms of workload and got an A*.

My second DS will not consider it though! so it has to be your thing! Saying that DS1 had no previous experience and didn't seem that bothered when he took it!! It was the last option choice.
KB

Post by KB »

From experience it is pretty straightforward but you do need a decent teacher to make sure they have covered what they need to.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now