Identity

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Anon

Identity

Post by Anon »

At the out of county test today there was no strong checking of identity and DS remarked how a couple of children were really tall for their age...

makes you wonder...

But people wouldn't be that brazen would they?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

They might...!!
Desperation is a terrible affliction!
There is a fiction book which covers this whole 'trying your best as a parent to get your child into the best school' situation and the fictional mother sits the test for her daughter. I am reading it at the moment. Extremely pertinent.
Not sure if I am allowed to advertise the book...

Re: Identity

Post by Guest »

Anon wrote:At the out of county test today there was no strong checking of identity and DS remarked how a couple of children were really tall for their age...

makes you wonder...

But people wouldn't be that brazen would they?
As long as it was only a couple of children. Some year 6 kids - especially girls - are very tall and can look older than their years. I don't think anyone would be so brazen as to ask someone who clearly looked older to take the test for them. It would make more sense to go for someone smaller - come to think of it, my 14 year old, same height as an average 10 year old and now able to do VR questions with hardly a moment's thought, could have made a killing :shock: :shock: Seriously, though, your post does raise an important issue. At the very least, candidates should be asked to take along a passport-sized photo countersigned by the head teacher of their current school or other professional who knows them personally (a bit like applying for a passport). Some might think this an excessive requirement, but if some parents are willing to lie about their address, religious affiliation etc., then anything is possible!
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

And my 10 year old is the same height as her 14 year old sister . I guess we're all different . :)
Gordiamus

Post by Gordiamus »

My child school asked for a photo with the registration form and compared each child with the photo.
Of course it is possible to send the photo of another child in the first place, and I don't know if they compare the children who turn up at the beginning of year 7 with the photo they produced for the 11+..

It's one thing to lie on address etc, but sending another child to the exam is such a big step! I would be surprised if it was not extremely rare.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

In Warwickshire we sent in two passport photographs to the LEA with the application form. One photo was kept on file and used during the registration process on the day of the test and, I believe, the other was sent to my child's school for them to confirm identification.
HOWEVER, when we arrived on the day to register, subsequent to my son being briefly looked at, whole families trekked into the hall and, I believe, had we taken another child of the right gender with us, they could have sat at the desk and sat the test. As long as you ARRIVED with the right child you could seemingly also take another one in who could then take the test...
Sorry to be controversial but those were my findings.

Post by Guest »

Gordiamus wrote:My child school asked for a photo with the registration form and compared each child with the photo.
Of course it is possible to send the photo of another child in the first place, and I don't know if they compare the children who turn up at the beginning of year 7 with the photo they produced for the 11+..

It's one thing to lie on address etc, but sending another child to the exam is such a big step! I would be surprised if it was not extremely rare.
At the grammar school I work at they check the child who arrives in Year 7 against the photo submitted for the 11+ registration, which in turn was often checked against the child turning up to do the test (especially if there was any reason for suspicion!)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That is reassuring, but a very last-minute way of doing it!! Does this mean that the poor person next on the waiting list has to wait until term begins to legitimately gain their place??
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Drat!

so there's no business opportunity for me then......

I'm not VERY tall. :wink:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Me neither. Only 5'0". I was getting quite excited too!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now