NCS

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

NCS

Post by moved »

Does anyone have a child who has done the National Citizen Service? If so, whatwas it like?

Thanks
copella

Re: NCS

Post by copella »

Yes I would like to know as well as my DS had the presentation and is considering it. He is thinking of doing it with a friend so any info on ads and disads of this and even if it is possible to be with friends would be helpful. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

oops had forgotten this was going on!

DD had a presentation on it and decided that it really wasn't her thing and anyway we were away when there was some event. Not sure how many are doing it at present, school quite quiet about it all. TBH I think some weren't sold on the "it'll look good on your CV / UCAS form bit".

ETA - just browsed schools new all singing and dancing website and can't see a mention...
Amber

Post by Amber »

I just looked it up as I had never heard of it- the website link for 'when does it run?' says there are many dates in summer 2013. So at the very least, their web designer is a bit sleepy.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD looked into it for after GCSEs, but it was 3 (or was it 4?) weeks of commitment, including the night of their prom - they were supposed to be staying away that week. A sixteen year old excited about their celebrating the end of exams is unlikely to miss it for this sort of thing. It's a shame, but I think it put a lot of kids off around here. She was offered another one (which wasn't very local), but because of the length of it, it ran into our family holiday.
scary mum
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Several of DDs friends did this last year. It was time consuming but it gave them the opportunity to mix with youngsters from different schools in the area. A friend was very pleased her DD did it as it was the first time she'd stayed away from home with 'strangers' and she thought it was good preparation for university.

DD initially registered for more information but eventually felt her other activities (including DofE, music groups, charity involvement, etc) covered similar ground so didn't pursue it. However, I was a bit annoyed to find that even to get the most basic information the website had insisted she entered all our details (including postal address, phone number etc.) so we ended up on mailing lists... In fact I complained about the detail they 'required' at such an early stage and they said they'd look into it...
copella

Post by copella »

The reason my DS is thinking of doing it is because his school is not very good with extra curricular stuff like the D of E. He has his chief scouts award but that was a couple of years ago. Plus personally the idea of him lounging around for nearly three months is making me crazy all ready. He has a late August birthday and he can't do quite a few things. We had hoped he could do his life saving training but he has to be 16 to complete. The NSC sounds ok and for once he is looking into this himself I just wanted a heads up. Doesn't sound as if anyone hated it, so I'll encourage him to think about it some more.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now