Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oshosh

Very quiet in here. Question on GCSE options- ABGS

Post by Oshosh »

Hello everyone,

Hope all of you are well and fine.

It seems very quiet in here recently- so..... :D

My question is my little DS have been talking recently about what he wants to when is bigger....well he is torn in wanting to be cricket player/ a chef/ a builder/ flight engineer/ a doctor....and list goes on :wink:

But anyway- for aeronatuics engineering / medicine- what are the subjects he should choose for gcse option, and subjects for a levels. What are complusory subjects for all carrer paths. Do AGBS offer all of these subjects needed for medicine/ egineering. Are there exams prior to one making their options.

Chef/ builder- what subjects could he take to build up on this career path. Ds loves building and a has little workshop set up in his room :D

I am absolute novice to GCSE options.....and trying to get my head around it....is it in y9 that one would do the options, and study them during y10 and y11 and take the GSCE EXAM at the end of Y11.

Any help and input would help me and everyone who is about embark the high school journey.

Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Very quiet in here. Question on GCSE options- ABGS

Post by Tinkers »

For any engineering, A levels in physics and maths. If they can do further maths too, that well help greatly. (A Level Chemistry is needed as well for chemcial engineering.)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

My son is in Y10. All 3 sciences are compulsory anyway as is one foreign language, RE ( I think)and two Englishes. And two Maths ( or even 3 if they are in top set)

Doesn't leave that much choice after that- so I would go with what he likes and you should have a good spread.

You will have some useful pre reading and an open night before then anyway.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Tinkers wrote:For any engineering, A levels in physics and maths. If they can do further maths too, that well help greatly. (A Level Chemistry is needed as well for chemcial engineering.)
Thanks Tinkers, does it matter how well you do in GCSEs that determines your choices of subjects at 'a' levels. Say you get a C in chemistry, would you then be able to take that in 'a' levels.

Sorry i am asking so many questions......
TIDDLYMUM wrote:My son is in Y10. All 3 sciences are compulsory anyway as is one foreign language, RE ( I think)and two Englishes. And two Maths ( or even 3 if they are in top set)

Doesn't leave that much choice after that- so I would go with what he likes and you should have a good spread.

You will have some useful pre reading and an open night before then anyway.
Hello TM,

How have you been.

So if i i complie the list of complusory subjects

English
English( ?)
Maths
Maths
RE
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

So there is 8 complusory subjects already......how many subjects can they do at GCSEs or should they do at GCSE. What is other English, and the other Maths. DS would really like design and tech subject....would that possible in ABGS. kindly advise.

Thanks
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Most sixth forms will ask for at least Bs in the subject you want to do at A level. You would need to check individual sixth forms.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

English language and literature. Two separate gcses. All boys do two Maths Gcses - one is maths one is stats I think. Top set boys do the gcses for maths in Y10 and then do an extended maths gcse in Y11.

They do a tech subject- and there are quite a few techy type options for Gcse- I don't know more as it wasn't my sons thing at all!!!!

And they can do Gcse PE if they are top set as well!! You forgot a language there as well- compulsory subject !!! I have never added up the GCSES actually.

The way 6th form works at AGSB you have to get so many points from your best x number of GCSE grades. I should know more but I don't- trying not to think about it!!!!

All good here- hope you are ok too Oshosh x
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks TM and tinkers

TM, i am fine, apart from wanting March 3rd to roll on fast.....just killing time, with being busy ay work and other school activities.

I am still kind of lost with this GSCEs option. So only one langauage is complusory...do they get to pick. And what basis is the options offered to the kids...apart from them wanting to do it and their interest in it. Do the school just let you choose it. I know i am well ahead of my game here, but my DS, is querying me everyday. I am trying to do my research as much as i can :roll:

Anyway thanks for all input.
NS1

Post by NS1 »

My understanding is:
All boys have to take:
English language
English literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
RE
Maths - those in top sets complete gcse a year early and do an advanced level
Maths (Statistics)
At least one modern foreign language (boys do 2 modern languages in year 7, they can identify preferences for these, but they are not guaranteed. My son wanted Spanish and French, but was given French and German. In year 8 can drop one to do another language e.g Latin, students can choose latin or Chinese for gcse too).

I am aware of boys taking an around 11/12 gcses, so there are a few to choose from and history and geography tend to be popular.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

There are a good choice of options, my son has taken Economics which he enjoys very much.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks for all info.

But are the kids judged on their performance of a subject when it comes to making an option for that particular subject ?

It is really quiet in here......roll on march :P