Not 11 plus- GCSE choices!

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rejim2

Not 11 plus- GCSE choices!

Post by rejim2 »

Have anyone got suggestions/ experiences on choosing Latin for GCSE?

Will that be of any use in University level for a student who would like to pursue in Engineering /
Medicine.

Thankyou!
hermanmunster

Re: Not 11 plus- GCSE choices!

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi rejim - best to post in the GCSE section! http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Choose Latin only if DC enjoys it . Don't need it for medicine, though lots of names have Latin origin, there are just as many greek and all you need is good English
Also any phrases that you need are easily learnt and TBH the practice of using the Latin is dying out anyway (except in ophthalmology prescriptions for some reason :? )
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Greek is the subject most closely linked with medicine. A good mark in Latin is, however, seen as being indicative of someone who is capable of academic study at a high level, as it is not an easy subject by any means. I would only advise someone do Latin if they really enjoy it and are very good at it as it gets significantly harder, quickly at GCSE.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Not needed for engineering either
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am a big fan of Latin but if you are chasing the high grades there are much better subjects to do, there is a lot of rote learning involved in laying the ground work for Latin. What subjects are you weighing it up against. There is a whole GCSE section so hopefully the mods can move your post there and you can see some of the other threads about it, do you know what board your school does? DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Any co-relation between Latin and Maths? Are those good in maths find Latin easier to learn?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd is way ahead of me and I think that is because she has done Spanish for three years and is doing the GCSE in May and has already done some of the controlled assessments. There is a much stronger link between Spanish and Latin than English and Latin, It is very logical so it does probably help to be good at Maths, which of course she is too! I console myself by still being slightly ahead in English! For how much longer though? DG
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

DD did GCSE and loved it, she had a fantastic teacher as well. She got a chance to go on some fabulous trips to the classical world which helps! I think it is one of those subjects which gives a "life" education you can take well beyond GCSE.

IMO it is most helpful for English and currently the A level syllabus has some classics related books. I don't think there is a correlation between maths and Latin though I think there might be between Latin and music (based on my own observations).

I think it only works if you really enjoy it though. The grade boundaries also tend to be on the high side as generally only able kids (or those in private schools) tend to take it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In what way do you think it is helpful to English? The sentence structure is totally different. German and Spanish are much closer. DG
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

As stated, because there is a lot of classics based material on the current A level English Literature syllabus. It is not so much the structure of the language as the culture and stories which permeate through.

Both my children did Latin from age 5, with no obvious aptitude for learning French or Spanish, which they also did in primary.

In my personal experience and that of my children, Latin is not terribly helpful in learning MFL. I did French and Latin and both children did Spanish and Latin to GCSE. I am fluent in a Germanic related language which is spoken by one of my parents. In general I find children who are brought up bi-lingual are most successful in learning MFL. I think it is something to actually do with the technique of learning though rather than great similarities in structure between the languages.

In general I would recommend Latin to those who are interested in the Classical World and who enjoy it rather than for linguistic reasons.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now