How Many Questions are there in the NVR Paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

How Many Questions are there in the NVR Paper?

Post by Guest »

I just received confirmation from Slough Grammar for my son to sit the 11+. The letter states they will be sitting a NVR paper with 40 Questions time allowed 20 mins. I am a bit confused as the NFER has 12 Question in each section there is a total of 5 sections. I have getting my son to complete all 60 within 20 mins!!!
chad

Post by chad »

Two years ago the NVR consisted of just 2 sections and was given 20 mins to complete. I believe (but don't know for sure) that not all types of questions can come up in the exam.....but any of the types in the practise papers could come up. The only information we have is from children who have done the NFER test in the past...... so not completely reliable.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

My son also remembers two sections of 10 mns each.
'Worried'' son, last year, said there was two sets of 20 questions:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 1397#11397

If pupils have to complete 40 questions in 20 mns, they have 30sec per question on average. The NFER sections have 12 questions to do in 6 sec so also 30 sec average, so pupils will have to work at the same speed as with the NFER practice papers.
I think that you have misread the NFER guidelines if your have asked your son to do 60 questions in 20mns. But he is going to be well prepared and really fast...
Best of luck anyway and with the tests approaching I hope the stress hasn't got the best of you.

Catherine
herschel mum?

how many questions in nvr paper?

Post by herschel mum? »

Hi there

Just reading this thread, I wondered is the format the same for the Herschel papers ie

NVR 40 questions in 20 mins

VR 80 questions in 50 mins

maths 50 questions in 50 mins

Would be grateful for the info

thanks herschel mum?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi hopefully herschel mum next year,

From Langley's site :
http://www.langley-grammar.slough.sch.u ... speech.pdf
NVR two sets of 20 questions each lasting 10 mins = 20 mins 40 questions (30 secs each) Please note that this is the ONLY paper where candidates are not allowed to go back to the first section if they finish the 2nd section with time to spare. 2 practice questions at start of each section

À‰ Short break followed by VR 80 questions in 50 mins (TOUGH)

À‰ 25 - 30 min break followed by Maths 50 questions in 50 mins

À‰ ALL multiple choice, rough paper provided, time warnings are given and plenty of toilet breaks
Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Catherine
herschel mum?

how many questions are there?

Post by herschel mum? »

Hi Catherine

Thanks for your post , and your good wishes.
I was told in relation to nvr if there is time at the end of section 2 you can go back to section 1. However if you finish section 1 and have time you cannot go on to section 2 . Am i correct in thinking this?

Also looking at other threads, is it possible to work out the raw scores needed for admission from standardised scores? or are we incorrect
in thinking 141 relates in any way to 100% (raw score) For example if actual scores are very low and the highest mark acheived is 70% raw score is this then reflected as a standardised score of 141?
Any insights gratefully received. :?

Herschel mum?
Catherine

Re: how many questions are there?

Post by Catherine »

herschel mum? wrote: I was told in relation to nvr if there is time at the end of section 2 you can go back to section 1. However if you finish section 1 and have time you cannot go on to section 2 . Am i correct in thinking this?
I am not sure. May be someone else knows?
Also looking at other threads, is it possible to work out the raw scores needed for admission from standardised scores? or are we incorrect
in thinking 141 relates in any way to 100% (raw score) For example if actual scores are very low and the highest mark acheived is 70% raw score is this then reflected as a standardised score of 141?
If the highest mark achieved is 70% raw score then, yes, this then reflected as a standardised score of 141 [not taking into account the standardisation by age]. So it is difficult to predict the pass mark in terms of raw score as it depends on the cohort. The word of mouth is to aim for 80%+ or better 85% with the NFER practice papers, but that's the only thing to go by.

If it helps, two years ago, my son [December birthday] was scoring about 90% in VR, 85% in maths, 75% NVR with the NFER practice papers.
His 11+ scores were 133 VR, 121 maths, 112 NVR.
From this, you may think that the pass raw score is around 80% or lower [NVR], but this is ONE child, ONE year...
Some children do better at exams with the adrenalin going, some do worse because of the stress..
The standardisation is also done per subject so the raw pass scores may not the same for all three. [although you don't need to pass each subject individually, only the average of the standardised scores]
herschel mum?

how many questions are there?

Post by herschel mum? »

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for the info-very interesting :D

It's all such a learning curve, I shall definitely be more in the know for child two. Just got to get through the next couple of weeks then it will be all over- can't wait :!:

Herschel mum?
Waddle

Post by Waddle »

Hi, sorry to depress you, but getting through the test is just one stage on this long and winding road ... next are the results and, if like us, you get a pass, euphoria ...until you realise you only just got a pass and that might not be good enough as admission is by rank order of scores!

So then you have yet another wait, for the letter in March (I think it was), which says whether or not you're in.

Anyway, we got there in the end, and very happy we are too, now son has settled in really well. Fingers crossed it will all go well for you, too!

[/quote]