Offer from Indie but no bursary-can I appeal???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Roz12

Offer from Indie but no bursary-can I appeal???

Post by Roz12 »

Dear all,

I am super proud of my DD for getting into an Indie but did not qualify for a bursary when I had the right criteria to qualify. Is it worth appealing?

Any parents out there who have done so and then qualified???

Please let me know

roz
Jess

Re: Offer from Indie but no bursary-can I appeal???

Post by Jess »

Hi Roz12

Firstly, well done to your DD for getting an offer and sorry to hear that you haven't been awarded a bursary.

Unfortunately, you are unlikely to be able to appeal. Most schools have more bursary applications which qualify from a financial perspective than they have money available to award. Many schools then award the bursaries to the DC who have scored highest in the entrance exam, often leaving many DC who have qualified for a place but not for a bursary. There simply isn't enough money to go round.

Are you waiting for results from any other schools?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You are unlikely to be able to appeal as as jess says bursaries are oversubscribed and the school are not obliged to have an appeal system.

The only thing you could ask the school is whether they are running a bursary waiting list in case anyone turnes one down.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Ok thanks all.

It's my daughter's number one choice of school. We awaiting one more school.

I'm going to write to the bursar.

:(
dlb

Post by dlb »

Controversial as this may sound... Some Indie's make the decision on bursaries not just on the wealth of parents but on whether they want that child at their school - A team standard rugby player versus B team standard rugby player - A team player's parents have less criteria for a bursary than B but the A team standard player gets offered the bursary. This is my own opinion after seeing numerous examples of such bursary applications amongst persons I know!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
eal238

Post by eal238 »

My son has just went for his interview at my local indie today - an offer of a place but no offer of assistance is our worst case scenario.

From what I've understood for information provided by the school, as those in need of assistance ALWAYS exceeds what's in the pot, bursaries are awarded based on performance within the entrance exam...

I have a 3 week wait before we find out our fate. We have no applied to any other indie schools as they wouldn't have been practical transport wise - aside from the fact the indie we have applied to is the best of the bunch - so if my son doesn't get in, or we don't get offered any assistance, then my son will have no choice but to attend one of two local state comprehensives. Thankfully, both schools are excellent, but of course, the the quality of education the local indie can provide, as well as the experiences and the depth and breadth of their extra curricular activities are incomparable to even the best state comprehensive.

This is massive to us, as a family. I am mentally preparing myself now for the possibility that lack of assistance isn't offered - and obviously I have ZERO intention to tell my DS that bursaries are awarded based on performance, as he will then hold himself responsible... In my family (on my mother and father's side) only one person was lucky enough to receive a private education and she is now a neurological consultant... That said, many many family members who've gone on to university and are successful in their own right. I'm trying to keep it in perspective, it's not the be all and end all, and doesn't mean he can never achieve if he doesn't go there, but as a parent, I just want my children to have the best start that they can.. DO I want my children learning history sat on their bums and copying from a whiteboard or a book, or would I like them to also participate in battle re-enactments like our local indie offers to REALLY pique their interest...?

It's so frustrating.. I rarely envy people who have money (as usually they've worked hard to earn it), but I just wish money wasn't such a massive barrier when it comes to my childrens education..

Good luck with your other applications, and I can really empathise with your situation.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Appreciate all your replies fingers crossed.

Apprently my daughter qualified regarding test results but my financial situation let me down.
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the bursary Roz12. I suspect I will be in the same boat next week as I think my son will probably get offered a place but I am very concerned that we won't qualify for enough of a bursary.
We knew it was always a long shot for us but felt we had to try.
I hope your daughter settles well wherever she ends up.
eal238

Post by eal238 »

Fingers crossed for you FF2002 - we're in the same boat, I already know that I qualify for 100% bursary, but waiting to see if we get awarded that is another matter entirely. We can manage to pay the rest of the fees as long as we get 50% award minimum... It's such a nerve racking time, I can't believe how affected I am.. When we began this process, I was originally worried how my son would be feeling, but he is very come-what-may and it's me who is struggling to keep it together... I realise they have to number crunch, so you can't find out instantly, but 3 weeks is a looong time, especially when the process started 3 weeks ago. How long is your wait to find out FF2002?

Also, I'd like to apologise for hijacking your thread Roz12, I hope you don't mind. I've struggled to find other people in the same boat as me since this website seems to be majority used by people 'down South', which has a very different and competitive state system in comparison to up here in the North-East!
CoolMum5

Post by CoolMum5 »

In many cases, I feel that indies do not always make it very clear what the criteria is for getting a bursary. I think they need to be more transparent so that parents can make the decision before they put their children through the 11+.
Some indies allow you to meet with the bursar at the same time as your DC's interview so that you can frankly discuss your financial circumstances. This is preferable because then you get a much clearer idea as to whether you would be able to make the seven year commitment and also affords you the opportunity to negotiate a better deal - as you can to some extent - make your case much better in person than on paper.
It is also true that bursaries will not only be offered in the case of need but also attainment and performance in interviews. Indies are in an enviable position of being able to select exactly the kind of child they want in their schools - particularly if they are oversubscribed...
I feel terribly for those families whose children gained a place but cannot accept due to lack of a bursary. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Do not be disheartened, though, as your bright DC will do very well in an excellent comprehensive where they will probably be classed as G&T and given extra support to achieve their goals.