Colet court entrance

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Labyrinth2

Colet court entrance

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Quick question - does anybody know about entrance process for colet court and why they ask for parents occupation on the form? Just wondered if this has any bearing on their offers etc. thanks
jeanniebueller

Re: Colet court entrance

Post by jeanniebueller »

What age are you looking at? We are going through CC 11+ deferred at the moment.
Parents' occupation - I don't have any real insight but I'm guessing it's to help them know that people who receive an offer can pay the fees. It's not uncommon for people to get an offer and only then decide they can't afford it. But the school must know too that sometimes it's grandparents paying, etc. Maybe ask them? I think they get asked about every aspect of the admissions procedure so they've probably been asked before.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

It is strange, but all the Indies seem to ask for parents' occupations on the registration form.
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

Yup, occupation is a basic question like name and address...
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Just wonder if they do ask occupation would that be a major factor when offering places? Surely if that is the case it would be extremely unfair - it would mean a child that didn't do as well as another would have an unfair advantage. I completely understand if eg school reference created that advantage as that is based on merit of child not parent
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Surely independent schools are able to pick & choose as they see fit. Fairness may not necessarily come into it.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Labyrinth2 wrote:Just wonder if they do ask occupation would that be a major factor when offering places? Surely if that is the case it would be extremely unfair - it would mean a child that didn't do as well as another would have an unfair advantage. I completely understand if eg school reference created that advantage as that is based on merit of child not parent
Who knows... I started primary school in the early 60's and the form required "father's qualifications"
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

I feel that even if you argue they should be able to pick and choose as they wish then they should be clear about the fact when you pay your registration fee - I was pretty naive in this area and genuinely thought decisions to interview would be based solely on performance in test plus reference from head -which is what most schools state - but clear that is not the case - so parents pay their registration fee but the odds are stacked heavily against them if their parents are not of a 'desirable profession' - that really isn't what you think you are paying your £100 for
mad?

Post by mad? »

Labyrinth2 wrote: - but clear that is not the case - so parents pay their registration fee but the odds are stacked heavily against them if their parents are not of a 'desirable profession' - that really isn't what you think you are paying your £100 for
Do you have any evidence of this? It certainly does not ring true with the experience friends have had at Colet Court.
mad?
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Sorry don't really want to go into specifics but you can PM me